Intermittent PC hangs & other issues

Hello, I am looking for help, but I'm not very technical. I have a 5 year old laptop with 1.7GHz centrino processor, and 2GB of RAM. About a year ago, I had the second new screen installed, and at the same time XP-Home edition (legal) reloaded. Before the screen went bad, the performance had degraded. Now, the performance has degraded significantly, and I am getting very slow response to typing, random jumps of the cursor when typing, and increasingly frequent hangs - particularly in IE8 or Chrome - my preferred browser. CPU usage goes to 100% in the browser, and sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. Restarting the PC (maybe 3 or 4 times) may result in good performance. iTunes will no longer load at all. Opening FT.com web pages (which apparently use Shockwave Flash player within Chrome to show the videos) almost always results in the flash player crashing and usually in the web page becoming unresponsive. Skype is distorted and tells me that my computer is running slowly - even when Skype is the only application running.

Sorry this is a long moan - but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating. Local stores seem incapable of providing any useful input. I'd really appreciate a solution, other than buying a new laptop!

This sounds like a strong possibility your system is infected. Please go to our Virus & Malware Removal forum and read the UPDATED 8 Step sticky. Follow the instructions step by step as given.

When you finish post on that forum with the required logs attached. You'll get excellent help.

Good luck.

Back