Internet connects on one computer but not on the other, alternatively

I have got two Pcs, a Dell & a HP. I have also got two modems, TalkTalk (D-Link DSL-2680) and BT Home Hub 2. Both Pcs are never powered on at same time. The TalkTalk modem works with both Pcs and I can connect to the internet without any problem which ever Pc I am using. But BT modem will only connect to internet on the HP and will not work with Dell. I tried to reset the modem without any joy then rebooted the modem, unplugging the dsl and Ethernet cables and then connecting the dsl cable only and waiting until the broadband light is steady blue on the BT modem then connecting the Ethernet cable again but it will not connect to the internet. First a message will appear to say “A network cable is unplugged” then the Pc will try to connect again and again without any luck.

I have checked the TCP/IP settings and on both computers these are set to “obtain an IP address automatically”. My problem is that Dell is my main PC (HP is only a spare one and used very rarely) and I want to use Dell with BT modem as this modem has got a phone connected to it.

I read on google that Mcaffee could be a cause of this problem and have tried to uninstall it but it still does not work for me.

P.S. The WiFi works fine and we are able to connect our phones and tablet even when BT modem is connected to the Dell and it is only the wired connection which does not work between Dell & BT modem.

Thanks for your help!

Riz

When you uninstall McAfee look in the services.msc and see if there are any services still in for McAfee.

Run as the admin open up a dos session prompt
type: sc delete service name and hit enter this will remove the services
also check:
task scheduler found in control panel for Home Premium
Look in there for any McAfee task and delete those
Also look in Start-up
Run system cleaner like JetClean and System Ninja to remove any traces of McAfee.

Are you on Windows 7 or 8?
Your using two modems because of what you have setup there?

I have reinstalled McAfee and will uninstall it using your suggestions. I am on Windows XP media center edition. I am only using the TalkTalk modem to connect to the internet because the BT modem does not work with my Dell.

But BT modem will only connect to internet on the HP and will not work with Dell.
sounds like hardware provisioning.

Get the BT->HP running
access the CMD prompt and enter IPCONFIG /ALL

now look for the line that reads:
  • Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 22-Bb-FC-16-22-86
copy that 'address'
access the BT modem config and tell it to masquerade as the address seen and save the settings.

Now swap the HP and connect the Dell.
Your ISP should treat the Dell as if it were the HP and honor the connection.

Back