Internet disconnects every few hours

I have a TP-Link AC1750 Wi-Fi Extender connected to my PS4 and it works well for the most part but it disconnects for about 1 second every 2 hours or so, which doesn't sound like that big of a deal but can be really frustrating when you're playing a game like Destiny where you'll lose all progress on a mission if you disconnect during it, and I've tested with just my normal Wi-Fi and which doesn't disconnect at all but I don't use it since it's much slower. I'm hoping that there's some way to fix this but if not I appreciate you taking the time to read this either way.

In your router (not the tp-link), find the WAN side settings and make the MTU 1492.
This will help all devices by avoiding 'packet fragmentation'

This may be in your repeater. Is the range extender connected to your "normal WiFi"? Using range extenders and WDS is not an ideal practice because of dropped packets over the air and throughput is half at each hop. I think you are facing wireless noise or consistent connectivity issues over the air. If it works on "normal WiFi" to play games this may be your best option. If you have anything to add about conditions or setup it may help in troubleshooting.

This may be in your repeater. Is the range extender connected to your "normal WiFi"? Using range extenders and WDS is not an ideal practice because of dropped packets over the air and throughput is half at each hop. I think you are facing wireless noise or consistent connectivity issues over the air. If it works on "normal WiFi" to play games this may be your best option. If you have anything to add about conditions or setup it may help in troubleshooting.
Thank you, as you can tell I'm not very tech-savvy so I didn't really know what the issue was but now that I do I'll think I'll see about getting faster a internet connection and just use that instead.

Turn off DHCP and give each device a static address (this would stop it completely)
the other option is that you can set the expire on DHCP to a longer time frame, however it will still disconnect at the interval selected.

@Jollyriffic There are at least TWO dhcp configuration points:
  1. the local router, which provides DHCP for the LAN and which the user can control
  2. the ISP DHCP for the WAN side connection which the user has NO control and where there's always a renew lease cycle

Back