Internet explorer cannot find server

Status
Not open for further replies.

llstitcher

After deleting several trojans and deleting several programs, I am no longer able to connect to the internet. My wireless connection says I am connected to the wireless network and the signal strength is excellent, but when I open Internet Explorer, it says it cannot find server. I've spent hours researching and trying things and believe it is related to the fact that I cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection sevice either. I have tried repairing Windows XP from the CD and resetting winsock and still no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Problems started with McAfee, but it's been uninstalled. I'm currently without virus protection because I can't get back online.

I'm trying, but it's difficult because I can't get online. I already have some of the programs on the computer I'm trying to fix, but not all.

Here are the logs from all the scans.

Here are the logs.

Your database version for Malwarebytes is now old
You should have really updated it first before scanning
Current version is 1512

Also what Antivirus are you using?
Because I couldn't see it listed :confused:

I had McAfee when I got the trojans. Deleted it and haven't been able to install anything else because I can't get online. I couldn't update Malware for the same reason. I had to download it to a flash drive and install it from there.
I have plans to install Avast.

See anything else?

No just a whole lot of startups and many "file missing" lines, but no Malware

Obviously the fault must be elsewhere
Please try this: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post662504-2.html

After restart if it still does not work (running all those commands in the link)

Then try Start-> Run-> sfc /scannow
This will confirm all Windows files are intact, and may ask for your Windows CD to add any missing ones. It does not affect your data or activation status

When I talked to AT & T tech support, they had me do start, run, cmd, ipconfig. The ip address that came up was 169.254.100.76. They told me that it should start with 192 instead of 169. (They thought it was a firewall issue, but windows security says I do not have a firewall.) When I PING 192.254.100.76, it says destination host unreachable, and when I ping www.google.com, it says ping request could not find host.

you get the 169.x.x.x address when your system can NOT find the DHCP service.

use View Network Connections; right click on LAN->properties
scroll down to TCP and click the Property button

set IP and DNS to Automatic

wait 30 sec

rerun ipconfig /all

and you should have a 192.168.x.x address and ping should work. if so
then nslookup google.com should work too

run->ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt

then attach mytcp.txt with your follow-up
it will be located at
\Documents and Settings\yourlogin\mytcp.txt

hum; multiple things to address.

Node Type is Broadcast; should work but more commonly set to Hybrid

Use the Regedit to set the NodeType:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\NodeType 8

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No << why? did you setup Internet Connection Sharing?

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . : No

Connection#2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 <very uncommon; 255.255.255.0 is typical
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : <empty> <obvious problem too

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
IP Address. . . . . . . .. . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%6 <<IPv6 address :(

You must be running Vista!

Disable IPv6Disable Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: (see this security tip)
Right-click My Computer->Manage->Device Mgr
Expand [+] Network Manager
Find Tunnel adapter Teredo->dbl-click
at the bottom, scroll to DISABLE; click OK

Disconnect the Ethernet cable; wait 30 seconds

run->cmd
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"​
recable the system; wait 30 secs
run->cmd /k ipconfig /all

you should have an address like 192.168.x.y

Ok, I've done what I could.
I didn't understand how to change the Node Type to 8, so it still says broadcast.

I uninstalled IPv6.
Tunnel adapter Teredo is not listed, so I couldn't disable it.
I'm running XP, not Vista, so I'm not sure where those came from in the first place. Could they have been part of the trojans that started this whole mess?

When I ran net start "dns client" it says the service cannot be started, either b/c it is disabled or b/c it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I ran ipconfig /all and have the results attached. Obviously some changes were successful, but most importantly the IP address still starts with 169 instead of 192 and I still cannot connect to the server. I have all day today and tomorrow to figure this out, but I'm about ready to try a clean install of XP and start all over. What do you think?

I didn't understand how to change the Node Type to 8, so it still says broadcast.
Should work, but type 8 would be better -- there's other issues however.

hum; my settings are

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ltbeard
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxxxxxx.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxx.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : aa.bb.cc.dd
aa.bb.cc.ee
When I ran net start "dns client" it says the service cannot be started, either b/c it is disabled or b/c it has no enabled devices associated with it.
but the STOP worked? sounds like the driver is messed up.

Use the Device Mgr->Network Adapters
dbl-click on the Ethernet Device and uninstall the driver.

Now reboot and XP will perform Autodiscovery and reinstall it for you.

Ok, when it asked me to choose a wireless network and I clicked on 2wire 418 it asked for the WEP key, which I put in and it says I am connected to the network, but it is still acquiring network address.

I gave up and did a clean install of windows xp and reinstalled the 2wirecard and I'm connected! But now I've got quite a job of getting everything back.

Thanks everyone for your help!

hmm; I would have suggested looking at your firewall rules to ensure ports 67,68 were open for the DHCP request, but that's too late now.

It's ok. The clean install cleared up a lot of other minor problems we were having, so it's probably a good thing in the long run.

And on a side note, Microsoft tried to charge me for support, even though they didn't fix the problem. I spent hours on the phone with them and then had to end the call and could never connect with them again. The deal was that I would be charged when they solved the problem.

same problem - easy fix

My son did some spyware removal, and it warned him that a deletion might cause a problem, but he did it anyway, and had the same problem. Everything worked but the internet, specifically IE8. But my wireless connection was fine. 3 hours on the phone with AT&T and their levels 1 and 2 techs gave up (all the normal things, rebooting, checking ping, etc). So I assumed it was something clobbered in IE, and took an old AOL install disc and installed it, and the internet was fine. Then he deleted his old IE and downloaded a new one, and I had him do Firefox too, and no more problems -- at least not yet! :) hope this helps someone else. (Note: you must order a cd from IE or Firefox -- their online downloads are not writable to a cd -- that's why I looked for an old cd I already had)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back