Internet Explorer Down (a nightmare)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

I am currently running Firefox but I need to install updates on wordpad and it want's me to use Internet Explorer to get the updates. Normally this would be no problem but Explorer won't start up properly.

When the homepage starts to load (AOL.com) it clicks several times and a message box comes up and says that Internet Explorer has experienced a problem and has to close. I have tried AOL in Firefox and the site is fine. I have tried to interrupt the page from opening and going to another site but it wants to keep trying to recover the AOL page and gives me error message again and again.

This if a nightmare!! I hate Internet Explorer but I need it sometimes. Please help.

I have tried to open preference but it won't allow me to. It says something to the effect that current restrictions on the computer won't allow me to. I have tried to restore default settings through control panel and internet connections but it still won't help. I have already run the 8 step anti-virus program and system seems to be clean.

Check the Event Viewer for the Error that corresponds to the time of the IE crash. That will give us additional information:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error corresponding to time of crash>
3 .Double click on the Error to open>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow>
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
Please note: Ignore Warnings and Information Events.
You do not need to include the lines of code-if any-in the box below the Description when pasting here.

This path is for Windows XP. It is important to give which operating system is being used and with Internet Explorer, the version.

Event log

Here is what I could find in the event log:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 8.0.6001.18702, fault address 0x0003e819.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 8.0.6001.18702, fault address 0x0003e819.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I am running windows xp on a Dell with 1.8 GIG pentium 4 and approx. 780 MB RAM
Should have all updates.

Okay, for starters, you didn't copy the entire Error. Each Error has an Event ID# and a Source. This information assists us in finding a cause and resolution. Errors also have the date and the time it occurred, which can be of help. You have also given me the same Error twice. Did you mean to do that?

It may be:The 'full' error would resemble this:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error (?)
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000 (?)
Date: 4/8/2009
Time: 3:14:41 PM
User: You
Computer: Yours
Description: Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module urlmon.dll, version 8.0.6001.18702, fault address 0x0003e819.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions:
1. There may be a problem with IE8. It's very new. How about uninstalling it? You should then be left with IE7 and can make the attempt for the updates using that.
2. Is there some reason why you want to " ... install updates on wordpad"? Why not just download and install directly from the MS update site?
3. Have you put any restrictions for Policy on the system? Can you be specific with what this message says? "It says something to the effect that current restrictions on the computer won't allow me to."
4. Are you the Administrator? Are you using the Administrative user account?

Reply to help

Thank you for your help. I am sorry I didn't include complete information. I am using my own computer and I am the only user and yes I am the administrator with only one user set up on the computer. No one else uses it for any reason.
I will get you the complete log and yes I posted it twice because it happened twice and I wasn't sure if you wanted to know that. I will post the log very shortly and thank you for your patience.

I think I have all the information you want now :

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gupdate1c9b94ba9adaeac ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.
The Windows Security Center Service has started.

The service was started.

IE 8 error message - Please help.

I'm being driven crazy by error messages, I followed the instructions on this thread and many error logs, yesterday by far the worst day. According to the system log, I see about a 100 errors. Last night, I reset IE settings. I also got a pop up box in the system log "the file is corrupt'. I ran Norton scans atleast 3 times a week, delete cookies about 4 times a day. Any help would be appreciated.

Date: 8/27/2009 Time: 11:12:57 AM
Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Event Source: DCOM Event ID: 10005
Date: 8/27/2009 Time: 11:12:45 AM
Description: DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service Symantec Core LC with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server: {60C70E11-2B08-4798-B366-C8450CDA7B1A}

Date: 8/26/2009 Time: 9:28:20 PM
Description: Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module msneie.dll, version 3.0.1125.0, fault address 0x000220d4.

Description: The dlcc_device service entered the running state.
Event Source: Service Control Manager Event ID: 7036
Date: 8/26/2009 Time: 9:41:19 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back