Internet Explorer immediately shuts down upon start

beerabuser30

In our office there is one site that we have to use Internet Explorer to access. This morning immediately upon start it crashed on two computers(I am unsure if they are related or not). So I have spent three hours trying to fix it and I am not stuck. It is IE 10 (or was) and it is Windows 7. Things I have tried:

1. Running with no addons.
2. Uninstalling then Reinstalling.
3. Doing an sfc scan to see if it was a missing system file.
4. Making sure all required and optional updates were installed.
5. One computer is used sparingly, there is nothing on it but the default programs but ran a virus scan anyway and it turned up nothing.
6. Reset all internet explorer settings.
7. Finally I installed the IE11 beta version and it does the exact same thing.

Having two different IE versions do the exact same thing makes me think it is a system issue and not an IE issue. Both Firefox and Chrome work with no issues.

Just wanted to add that it will start in safe mode with no problems

Just disabled DEP on IE

Maybe try running these tools: tool 1, tool 2.

If that doesnt help, I have a few more possible solutions. This is another one: Install IE 10 and make sure all Windows updates are installed (not just for IE, but for the OS).

If that doesnt work, tell me.

I have ran both of those tools and updated everything I possibly could in Windows updates. It is such a strange issue.

Why not ask the office IT person to install Firefox & then use the IE TAB addon?
Might I ask what the website is that requires IE? A link if possible.:)

Why not ask the office IT person to install Firefox & then use the IE TAB addon?
Might I ask what the website is that requires IE? A link if possible.:)

That is my current workaround I have it done in Chrome though. It is a bank, and the actual website works fine. It is when you are inside the site and have to start doing things that it goes to hell.

In our office there is one site that we have to use Internet Explorer to access. This morning immediately upon start it crashed on two computers(I am unsure if they are related or not). So I have spent three hours trying to fix it and I am not stuck. It is IE 10 (or was) and it is Windows 7. Things I have tried:

1. Running with no addons.
2. Uninstalling then Reinstalling.
3. Doing an sfc scan to see if it was a missing system file.
4. Making sure all required and optional updates were installed.
5. One computer is used sparingly, there is nothing on it but the default programs but ran a virus scan anyway and it turned up nothing.
6. Reset all internet explorer settings.
7. Finally I installed the IE11 beta version and it does the exact same thing.

Having two different IE versions do the exact same thing makes me think it is a system issue and not an IE issue. Both Firefox and Chrome work with no issues.

Just wanted to add that it will start in safe mode with no problems

Just disabled DEP on IE
-------------------------------------
I was told that there is a problem with the new version of Avast it is causing browsers to close. I don't know what the fix is right now but if I find out I will post.

-------------------------------------
I was told that there is a problem with the new version of Avast it is causing browsers to close. I don't know what the fix is right now but if I find out I will post.
What browsers? I use Avast on both my machines W7 & Vista & I use Firefox & SeaMonkey browsers & no problems.

Have you considered the possibility of deleting all Internet Explorer files off the registry and computer THEN reinstalling? You never know if it's a problem with the registry keys.

You can uninstall IE If it is a upgrade. You just have to go into the control panel. Then Click on Programs and Feature. Once in the click on view installed updates. Once this opens scroll down to the version Of Ie that is updated. Then click on it. To uninstall it. Then you can down load the version again and install it. This only works if it is a upgrade.

You can uninstall IE If it is a upgrade. You just have to go into the control panel. Then Click on Programs and Feature. Once in the click on view installed updates. Once this opens scroll down to the version Of Ie that is updated. Then click on it. To uninstall it. Then you can down load the version again and install it. This only works if it is a upgrade.
I wouldn't call that an uninstall, I'd call that a roll back. But no biggie. :)

It does uninstall IE. In Vista it did roll it back. Remember when IE 10 came out and everyone was having problems with it. This method here save my sister whole office, Till they could update there software.:)

Hi All, There is also the option in IE 10 (and previous) in the 'settings/advanced' tab, to reset all options to 'default condition' and that might be worth trying.

I have IE 11 in my win 8.1 laptop . Works pretty good. Maybe Ie 11 will work for the OP. But he could also try what Mike1959 posted.

Actually, You CAN remove Internet Explorer: In start menu, type Programs and Features, run it, and in left pane Select "Enable od disable Windows features" (or something like that, I am translating from Czech version ;) ), and there, You can uncheck the Internet Explorer of the respective version. Restart and voila! No IE in Windows.

By reversing this guide, You can then install it back again - and it should be working fine. ;)

What solved the problem for me, was this:
  1. Press Start Menu, type cmd, right click on it on top of the list, select "Run as administrator"
  2. In the CMD window, type cd \, that will hop You to the root of C: drive
  3. Type cd program files
  4. Type cd internet explorer
  5. Type regsvr32.exe ieproxy.dll - that will re-register the IE proxy dynamic link library into the system.
  6. Close CMD window, run IE and You should be fine. ;)
Also, please note, that it helps to delete all contents of temp folders, especially these ones:
  • C:\Temp
  • C:\Windows\Temp
  • C:\Users\name of the troubled profile\AppData\Local\Temp\
  • C:\Users\name of the troubled profile\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet files (this one is actually just a link, leading to c:\Users\name of the troubled profileAppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\)
You can delete EVERYTHING there, what can be deleted, literally. Some files are in use, so don't worry about them, it's cool. Leave just the folders "standing", do not delete the folders as such, just the contents, and any subfolders, if any are present. Everything will be rebuilt upon first need of the respective application, which uses these locations. ;)

Back