Internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi techspotters,

Will bandwidth speed be affected for each computer if I hook up two or more computers in a Wimax 4 port modem/router....my current speed for now is 512 kbps. Thanks guys....:)

Yes you would be sharing that bandwidth. That's a pretty good speed so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

try this analysis
each computer accesses 1k but staggered over time like this
Code:
system1.......xxxx....
system2.................xxxx....
system3.............................xxxx....
system4.....................................xxxx....
where the xxxx is the time for the download
as they start at different times and complete before the next starts, there's ZERO impact :)
Now let someone start a 1mb download
Code:
system1.......xxxxxxxxxxxxx....
system2.................xxxxxxxxxxxxx....
system3.............................xxxxxxxxxxxxx....
system4.....................................xxxxxxxxxxxxx....
at least one of these is still active when another is started; there's an impact to what each will see as performance
Then try a heavy streaming video or *Torrent access
Code:
system1.......xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
system2.................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
system3.............................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
system4.....................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
major degradation!!! :(

Conclusion: Normal Email and web surfing will not be an issue, but heavy
downloads by one or more users will make everyone suffer.

Thanks a lot fastco for that info, indeed I shouldn't be worried I just happen to get frustrated some times whenever the other pc is somewhat playing online games, I seem to experience some slow speeds with my laptop, so I guess I just have to live with that huh.....thanks again fastco.....

hey jobeard, that data analysis was splendid I am grateful for that, by the way do you happen to know how to hook up a modem/router into another router....I have a four port non-wireless modem/router that needs to be connected into a wireless router...should I be using a crossover cable for that? should I be doing any changes on the wireless router LAN configuration settings in order for them to share internet as well as file and printer sharing? Anyway the non-wireless modem/router is a Huawei Echolite BM625 and the wireless router is an Asus...thanks again buddy

simple; take the new router and wire it to any system but NOT to the internet

then access the config page and DISABLE the DHCP feature.
if it is a wireless, setup those options
ssid, channel, admin password and​
save the settings

now cable one of its LAN slots to a LAN slot on the other router.

Router#1 will control the DHCP assignments and the subnet address.
Router#2 will act like a switch, not a router and give you 3 more wired connections
but also several wireless connections

Great advice jobeard, should I'd be cabling them through crossovers or straight??? A 20 feet utp cable distanced between Router 1 and Router 2 would be just fine, right? By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions, it's just that - these are the issues I have been dwelling for a long time...once again many thanks bud...:)

Ethernet Cat 5 of up to 100 METERS would work fine and this is NOT a cross-over.

Great jobeard, thak you so much buddy....I really appreciate the assistance here you just saved me from all these troubles, alright then...... I guess I am good to go now, thanks a million buddy and god bless ...take care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back