Interpreting 'Posting' guidelines

BillAllen55

I enjoy coming to tech spot for answers and at times I'm able to help others with computer issues.
After looking through the terms and conditions of Tech-spots 'How to Post' I'm still unclear about ones signature and what 'is' and 'is not' allowed.

As an example, I have a website dedicated to assisting people with computer issues.
I would like to link my website address to replies I provide to those seeking assistance.
Am I allowed to give my website address as part of my signature after giving feedback?

I've enjoyed this site over the years and am NOT interested in being banned. Seeking an answer from a knowledgeable moderator.

This isn't a definitive answer per se, but I'm going to share my thoughts:

A signature by definition is a way to "sign off" on posts or provide a memorable way for others to recognize your posts in the future -- as opposed to just your screen name. It can also be used to provide additional information about a person. Phrases, quotes, and links are all common.

Linking to sites for self-promotion or other gain (i.e. spam) is generally looked down upon.

That said, in my opinion, there is a difference between passively linking to your site (competing or otherwise) and actively soliciting members of TechSpot. I believe your situation falls under the former, and as a participating member of this community I think you have a right to link your own site -- provided it doesn't cross the line mentioned above.

For what it's worth (and without mentioning names), I've seen at least three others do exactly what you're asking to do, and they haven't been banned.

Thank you for your feedback

Mathew and Julio,

Thanks for your responses, I will use my signature; Visit me Here as recommended.

Techspot 'once again' has not let me down!

Back