iOS 7 installed on three out of every four Apple mobile devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s latest mobile operating system is now on three out of four mobile devices in North America according to the latest analytics data by Chitika. That’s an impressive feat when you consider the OS was released just shy of three months ago.

Chitika gathered statistics between October 25 and November 18 based on ad impressions served to iOS devices. In a blog post earlier this week, the advertising firm said it is very likely that iOS 7 will continue to substantially outpace iOS 6 adoption, which reached 83 percent after being available for around six months.

ios apple mobile devices apple mobile devices ios 7

Similarly, Apple’s own iOS developer site also shows 74 percent adoption based on the seven days leading up to December 1 as measured by the App Store.

iOS 7 adoption skyrocketed in the first week as some 50 percent of devices installed the update but since then, growth has been a bit slower. Even still, 74 percent adoption rate is solid in comparison to just 22 percent adoption rate of iOS 6 in the US and Canada.

Bragging rights are only half of the equation, however. With more people using a given operating system, developers will be more willing to code for a given platform. That’s even more important for iOS 7 as the massive overhaul brought with it a totally new visual experience and some nifty new developer tools.

iOS 7 is available as an upgrade for the iPhone 4 and newer, the iPad 2 and newer, both iPad minis and the fifth generation iPod touch.

Permalink to story.

I'd give anything to uninstall it, it is AWFUL, my ipod is slower than ever, it's uglier than ever. They really fudged up! Im still trying to find a way to hack this thing and return it to its previous version, even if that means Ill never be able to update it, yes, it is that bad!

"That’s an impressive feat when you consider the OS was released just shy of three months ago."

Considering it was more or less forced on the user, yeah. The rate would be much higher if they didn't 'abandon' their older devices.

"Chitika gathered statistics between October 25 and November 18 based on ad impressions served to iOS devices"

They're funny, because since when is that an accurate representation? I bet that 95% of all iPod 4 users for example seldom browse web sites and most certainly not the ones with Chitika.

I much more accurate number would be the number of installations per unique device, a number that only Apple knows.

...."A" (correction)

The problem with you Shawn Knight is that you do sensation journalism, you seldom have a critical view on the news that you come across. You need to put more professionalism in your work or you're not going to make it in this business, unless you want to work for TMZ

Might be true, 2 friends I know has their WIFI broke after the upgrade hence they advice not to upgrade it ios7.

I am in the minority but I refuse to update. ^_^ I like my battery life just the way it is thank you very much Apple!

I'd give anything to uninstall it, it is AWFUL, my ipod is slower than ever, it's uglier than ever. They really fudged up! Im still trying to find a way to hack this thing and return it to its previous version, even if that means Ill never be able to update it, yes, it is that bad!
If you jailbroke it on a previous version and saved your SHSH blobs (rather accidentally or intentionally) you should be able to downgrade.
(Cydia automatically saves sometimes I think, im not sure, ive been gone since iOS 5 came out and just now got another iDevice)

I have no idea how anyone can not see the improvement of IOS7 over 6. Even crazier is how anyone would prefer it. I guess older people hate things that change to make it easier, like making fire from friction instead of just using a lighter for example.

Cry babies will always cry no matter what. This much is true.

And any person I have ever talked to says they hate it....
I love it! I love the flat look, but I do miss the old look sometimes.

And that is why you do not upgrade devices that are >3-4 years old. The new OS will use a lot of RAM vs what was the standard/usual amount when it was made.

@JC
Apple deserve to be commended for supporting 3 years old devices (compared to most android OEMs which dump their flagships in half that time at best).

However, when they went for such a major overhaul of the OS, they should have (at least for this round of updates) considered not supporting older devices. By the way on 5 it is good, on 4S it feels okay, however on 4, it feels noticeably sluggish to me.

Back