iOS apps crash more often than Android apps, according to report

Scorpus

Staff member

A recent report from Crittercism, who measure app performance across a range of platforms, has stated that iOS apps crash on average more frequently than Android apps. The current versions of each operating system, Android 4.4 'KitKat' and iOS 7.1, reported application crash rates of 0.7% and 1.6% respectively, according to Crittercism's data.

Unsurprisingly, older versions of Android and iOS were less stable than the current versions, which could be down to app developers not bothering to optimize their products for older OSes. Android 2.3 'Gingerbread' had a crash rate of 1.7%, for example, while iOS 6 apps crashed 2.5% of the time.

On a device level, Samsung's Galaxy S4 performed very well with an average app crash rate of 0.9%, beating other Android devices tested such as the HTC One (0.7%) and Google Nexus 7 (1.7%). In the iOS camp, the iPhone 5 was reportedly more stable than the iPhone 5s, with crash rates of 1.7% and 2.0% respectively, although the iPad 2 performed especially poorly with a 2.6% crash rate.

Crittercism also found that gaming applications tend to be the least stable, with an average crash rate of 4.4%, while ecommerce apps (0.4%) are generally the most stable. Overall, 47% of apps tested had a crash rate of more than 1%, and 32% crashed more than 2% of the time.

Data for the report was collected from nearly one billion users, and over three billion events per day were analyzed. Crittercism says that developers should aim for a crash rate under 1%, as anything higher can leave users frustrated, which can in turn affect revenues generated from the app.

Permalink to story.

[Troll mode enabled]
1. So Android developers are more skilled?
2. So Apple deploys crashing apps?
3. Even windows OS apps dont crash as often!

[Troll mode disabled]

LOL

I think the comparison of crashes between the iPhone 5 vs. the 5S was to be expected when they switched from a 32-bit CPU to 64-bit. I think most of the app developers have optimized their apps to work on the updated chip since then and most crashes have disappeared.

Other than that, the purpose of this article is....?

Stop the fanboi flame wars please!!:mad:

I have used both eco systems daily for years now. Also have been using kit kat and IOS7 since release and for me its easily one sided with most crashes being on the nexus (android).

Typo? ".9" (Samsung) a lower failure rate than ".7" (HTC)???? New math, right!

Which side are you on?

the "apple" side or the "android" side?

me? ..nah, I'm with "symbian" side :D

"me? ..nah, I'm with "symbian" side :D"
Well no-one develops for Symbian so I guess there are no crashes when you have no apps? ;)

This actually surprises me. Like windows, android devices come in many shapes and form and a gazillion hardware configurations it's because of this that software doesn't always work as intended and the devices are prone to crashes. Where as an apple device they have like a dozen devices all built by the same company that builds the software which would have made you think software is much more refined and tuned as the devs know exactly the hardware that's going to be used. I am a devoted android user (got an S2 but preordered the S5) and when telling ppl about android I have always said it's faster and more fluid then ios but is prone to crashes.

Back