iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 inadvertently leaked in iTunes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ipad air ipad itunes apple tablet leak user guide ipad air 2 ipad mini 3

Product leaks are often credited to supply chain insiders or other unnamed sources but every so often, a company flubs by posting something online ahead of schedule. Such was the case Wednesday with Apple’s upcoming iPad refresh.

Screenshots of the two new tablets we are almost certain to see take the stage at tomorrow’s media event inadvertently made their way to the iTunes Store earlier today as part of a downloadable iPad user guide for iOS 8.

While the slides didn’t reveal every single detail about the new slates, they did provide a good bit of information and seem to confirm some of the rumors that have been circulating as of late.

ipad air ipad itunes apple tablet leak user guide ipad air 2 ipad mini 3

Visually, the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3 look nearly identical to their predecessors save for the addition of Touch ID sensors embedded in the Home button. All other buttons and switches appear to be in the same location as before.

Another new feature hinted at in the user guide is a camera Burst Mode for the iPad Air 2, similar to functionality that debuted on last year’s iPhone 5s. There was no mention of this feature coming to the iPad mini 3, however.

That said, most expect the two new iPads to feature updated processors either in the form of the A8 found in the iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus or a slightly more powerful A8X. Apple will also more than likely launch Apple Pay via iOS 8 update.

As always, keep in mind that nothing is final until it’s actually announced. If you recall, the long-rumored Surface Mini also showed up in a Surface Pro 3 user guide despite the fact that Microsoft shelved it.

Permalink to story.

The existing product is already so good, it is tough to innovate further:

- Touch ID;
- Better battery;
- Newer OS;
- More RAM (2GB);
- Faster processor;
- Buttons rearrangement for easier use;
- A little thinner and lighter;

I believe this to be the complete list, as far as the hardware goes. Let's see tomorrow if I was right.

- Touch ID;
- Better battery;
- Newer OS;
- More RAM (2GB);
- Faster processor;
- Buttons rearrangement for easier use;
- A little thinner and lighter;

I believe this to be the complete list, as far as the hardware goes. Let's see tomorrow if I was right.
Totally. I love my Air. I hate how they are getting rid of the mute switch though. I wonder if that will be the case.

(I'm surprised... I just read a whole article about Apple on Techspot without being reminded that they're based in Cupertino.)

I don't believe in firsthand leaks either. I'd guess the point of the leak is to set the expectations bar low so they can impress us with something that was left out of the leak.

Uh... they could maybe put in more storage than the original iPad? They've had what... 5 or 6 ipad generations and they're STILL selling them with 16GB base?! No matter how much you love your iPad, you've gotta admit, it's a little ridiculous to still be charging the same $100 per 16GB of storage in late 2014 as they did in early 2010.

(I'm surprised... I just read a whole article about Apple on Techspot without being reminded that they're based in Cupertino.)

I don't believe in firsthand leaks either. I'd guess the point of the leak is to set the expectations bar low so they can impress us with something that was left out of the leak.

Uh... they could maybe put in more storage than the original iPad? They've had what... 5 or 6 ipad generations and they're STILL selling them with 16GB base?! No matter how much you love your iPad, you've gotta admit, it's a little ridiculous to still be charging the same $100 per 16GB of storage in late 2014 as they did in early 2010.

Back then they were charging $100 for every extra 16GB of storage. It is much cheaper now, with 128GB option being the cheapest / per GB ;)

Back