1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 11 reportedly has two-way wireless charging but Apple disabled it in software

By Shawn Knight · 16 replies
Sep 13, 2019 at 3:51 PM
Post New Reply
  1. Well-known Apple leaker Sonny Dickson claimed in a recent Twitter post that reliable sources have confirmed that the hardware to enable two-way wireless charging is indeed present in the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models but for whatever reason, Apple has disabled the functionality via software.

Two-way, or bilateral, wireless charging allows a device – in this case, an iPhone, to not only be able to be charged wirelessly, but to share its battery power wirelessly with other devices. It effectively turns your phone into a wireless charging mat so, for example, you could charge your Apple Watch or AirPods using your iPhone.

Samsung has offered this feature for months now through what it calls Wireless PowerShare.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a note to investors before Apple’s press event on Tuesday that Apple likely wouldn’t support two-way wireless charging because “the charging efficiency may not meet Apple’s requirements.” Hours before Apple’s press event, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman also confirmed that reverse charging was off the table.

We’ll find out soon enough through teardowns whether or not the iPhone 11 really does have the hardware necessary for two-way charging. If it does, but Apple canceled it at the 11th hour, this would be its second major miss on wireless charging. Earlier this year, the Cupertino-based company canceled its planned AirPower wireless charging mat due to technical difficulties.

Masthead credit: Shara Tibken, CNET

Permalink to story.

2. netman

netman TS Evangelist Posts: 375   +130

Apple is always the last company to brings outdated features into its phones....

Fearghast and p51d007 like this.
  3. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,567   +1,172

I was very disappointed that they couldn't get AIRPAD Wireless charger to work and I'm gonna wait till iPhone 12 for them to perfect two way charging.

4. Adi6293

Adi6293 TS Maniac Posts: 259   +232

Just get a Note man and stop being an Apple sheep ;-)

5. QuantumPhysics

Read My Lips...

I don't want ANYTHING from Android.

You may as well tell me to trade my Jeep SRT for a Honda Pilot or my Hellcat Charger for a Toyota Camry.

I'd rather die.

and that's not Hyperbole.

I mean that.

Shadowboxer likes this.
  6. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,056   +1,317

Well OF COURSE! Apple needs to figure out a way to bill you for the "privilege" of two way charging.

7. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,056   +1,317

Well, when they do, it will be 2x or 3x what you'd pay anyone else for, just to have it light up with the (CR)apple logo.

8. Aus spot

Aus spot TS Enthusiast Posts: 45   +25

Well based on both cars your long term cost of ownership would be a lot lower. Not to mention actually working when you need it.

9. Fearghast

Fearghast TS Addict Posts: 152   +100

That is possibly the saddest tech related comment I have ever read.

Nobina and jobeard like this.
  10. Adi6293

I dont understand people like you. You want what other phones can give you but Apple is the only way? Companies must love "customers" like you. I dont particularly like Intel for all the stuff they've pulled during the Athlon 64 era and I currently have an all AMD rig but I did pick i5 2500K over FX8150 and I would buy 9900K over my 2700X if the they were much closer in price, same goes for gpu's, I've always been more of a ATi fan but still ended up with at least 50% of my cards being from nVida :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    Fearghast likes this.
  11. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer TS Addict Posts: 270   +120

Oh no! Guess il have to switch to Android then lmao. A “major miss”. Presumably the writer has never used the wireless charging on Huawei or Samsung, it’s hopelessly inefficient, really slow and should really only be used at an absolute last resort. It’s a minor miss that most wont care about.

No matter how bad my life gets I’m not switching to Android. Android is so hopelessly behind Apple at this point, switching to it would be like reliving my youth!

Still upset at the lack of 3D Touch though...

12. QuantumPhysics

I have 42,000 miles on my Jeep SRT and besides new tires every other year, it's FLAWLESS.

Hellcat's doing just fine too.

You know nothing about ownership of these vehicles and I'll just say it like this: People spend money on what they want. It's the ultimate form of democracy.

It's Capitalism and it works.

13. QuantumPhysics

I don't want anything from Android or AMD because I do not trust or value their product.
    I prefer products from Intel, Apple, Alienware, etc.

People vote with their feet and their dollar.

It's the ultimate form of democracy.

It's Capitalism in its purest form.

Your "understanding" is irrelevant and unsolicited.

If I decide I wanna paint my ceiling pink and green...it just gets done. Cause I said so.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 9:17 AM
  14. QuantumPhysics

3D Touch was a very complex hardware that probably interfered with their HDR screen technology and they figured that software engineering could remove it quietly like the home button on the iPhone 7 was removed. And I was absolutely astonished by how good the TouchID pad on the iPhone 7 felt. It felt as real as the real Home Button.

Personally, all I really wanted was 1TB storage.

I'll wait for iPhone 12.

My XS Max 512GB is just fine.

15. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer TS Addict Posts: 270   +120

I have an iPhone 8 Plus so I’m probably going to wait until next years iPhone. Although I don’t expect it to have 3D Touch, I do expect it to have 5G. Hopefully we will have 5G available in my area by then. I know it’s coming in late 2020 according to my provider.

It’s such a shame about 3D Touch, I use the hard push to move the cursor in a typing field constantly, even when writing this comment. I guess most users didn’t use it and it’s probably quite a difficult implementation as you say. Oh well, it’s not as if anyone else can sell a phone with 3D Touch.

16. Adi6293

And I'm not trying to take that away from you, you work for it, its your money so you can do whatever you want with it all I'm doing its pointing out that you could potentially get more for it :)

17. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,104   +1,587

Nothing impressive there EXCEPT the cheap price -- sometimes you actually get what you pay for.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...