iPhone 11 reportedly has two-way wireless charging but Apple disabled it in software

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple’s just-announced iPhone 11 lineup reportedly packs in the necessary hardware for two-way wireless charging, a feature that was first rumored earlier this year. But before you run out and pre-order one of these devices, there’s something you should know.

Well-known Apple leaker Sonny Dickson claimed in a recent Twitter post that reliable sources have confirmed that the hardware to enable two-way wireless charging is indeed present in the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models but for whatever reason, Apple has disabled the functionality via software.

Two-way, or bilateral, wireless charging allows a device – in this case, an iPhone, to not only be able to be charged wirelessly, but to share its battery power wirelessly with other devices. It effectively turns your phone into a wireless charging mat so, for example, you could charge your Apple Watch or AirPods using your iPhone.

Samsung has offered this feature for months now through what it calls Wireless PowerShare.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a note to investors before Apple’s press event on Tuesday that Apple likely wouldn’t support two-way wireless charging because “the charging efficiency may not meet Apple’s requirements.” Hours before Apple’s press event, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman also confirmed that reverse charging was off the table.

We’ll find out soon enough through teardowns whether or not the iPhone 11 really does have the hardware necessary for two-way charging. If it does, but Apple canceled it at the 11th hour, this would be its second major miss on wireless charging. Earlier this year, the Cupertino-based company canceled its planned AirPower wireless charging mat due to technical difficulties.

Masthead credit: Shara Tibken, CNET

Permalink to story.

I was very disappointed that they couldn't get AIRPAD Wireless charger to work and I'm gonna wait till iPhone 12 for them to perfect two way charging.

I was very disappointed that they couldn't get AIRPAD Wireless charger to work and I'm gonna wait till iPhone 12 for them to perfect two way charging.

Well, when they do, it will be 2x or 3x what you'd pay anyone else for, just to have it light up with the (CR)apple logo.

Just get a Note man and stop being an Apple sheep ;-)
Read My Lips...

I don't want ANYTHING from Android.

You may as well tell me to trade my Jeep SRT for a Honda Pilot or my Hellcat Charger for a Toyota Camry.

I'd rather die.

and that's not Hyperbole.

I mean that.
That is possibly the saddest tech related comment I have ever read.

Read My Lips...

I don't want ANYTHING from Android.

You may as well tell me to trade my Jeep SRT for a Honda Pilot or my Hellcat Charger for a Toyota Camry.

I'd rather die.

and that's not Hyperbole.

I mean that.

I dont understand people like you. You want what other phones can give you but Apple is the only way? Companies must love "customers" like you. I dont particularly like Intel for all the stuff they've pulled during the Athlon 64 era and I currently have an all AMD rig but I did pick i5 2500K over FX8150 and I would buy 9900K over my 2700X if the they were much closer in price, same goes for gpu's, I've always been more of a ATi fan but still ended up with at least 50% of my cards being from nVida :)

Last edited:
Oh no! Guess il have to switch to Android then lmao. A “major miss”. Presumably the writer has never used the wireless charging on Huawei or Samsung, it’s hopelessly inefficient, really slow and should really only be used at an absolute last resort. It’s a minor miss that most wont care about.

No matter how bad my life gets I’m not switching to Android. Android is so hopelessly behind Apple at this point, switching to it would be like reliving my youth!

Still upset at the lack of 3D Touch though...

Well based on both cars your long term cost of ownership would be a lot lower. Not to mention actually working when you need it.

I have 42,000 miles on my Jeep SRT and besides new tires every other year, it's FLAWLESS.

Hellcat's doing just fine too.

You know nothing about ownership of these vehicles and I'll just say it like this: People spend money on what they want. It's the ultimate form of democracy.

It's Capitalism and it works.

I dont understand people like you. You want what other phones can give you but Apple is the only way? Companies must love "customers" like you. I dont particularly like Intel for all the stuff they've pulled during the Athlon 64 era and I currently have an all AMD rig but I did pick i5 2500K over FX8150 and I would buy 9900K over my 2700X if the they were much closer in price, same goes for gpu's, I've always been more of a ATi fan but still ended up with at least 50% of my cards being from nVida :)

I don't want anything from Android or AMD because I do not trust or value their product.
I prefer products from Intel, Apple, Alienware, etc.

People vote with their feet and their dollar.

It's the ultimate form of democracy.

It's Capitalism in its purest form.

Your "understanding" is irrelevant and unsolicited.

If I decide I wanna paint my ceiling pink and green...it just gets done. Cause I said so.

Last edited:
Oh no! Guess il have to switch to Android then lmao. A “major miss”. Presumably the writer has never used the wireless charging on Huawei or Samsung, it’s hopelessly inefficient, really slow and should really only be used at an absolute last resort. It’s a minor miss that most wont care about.

No matter how bad my life gets I’m not switching to Android. Android is so hopelessly behind Apple at this point, switching to it would be like reliving my youth!

Still upset at the lack of 3D Touch though...

3D Touch was a very complex hardware that probably interfered with their HDR screen technology and they figured that software engineering could remove it quietly like the home button on the iPhone 7 was removed. And I was absolutely astonished by how good the TouchID pad on the iPhone 7 felt. It felt as real as the real Home Button.

Personally, all I really wanted was 1TB storage.

I'll wait for iPhone 12.

My XS Max 512GB is just fine.

3D Touch was a very complex hardware that probably interfered with their HDR screen technology and they figured that software engineering could remove it quietly like the home button on the iPhone 7 was removed. And I was absolutely astonished by how good the TouchID pad on the iPhone 7 felt. It felt as real as the real Home Button.

Personally, all I really wanted was 1TB storage.

I'll wait for iPhone 12.

My XS Max 512GB is just fine.
I have an iPhone 8 Plus so I’m probably going to wait until next years iPhone. Although I don’t expect it to have 3D Touch, I do expect it to have 5G. Hopefully we will have 5G available in my area by then. I know it’s coming in late 2020 according to my provider.

It’s such a shame about 3D Touch, I use the hard push to move the cursor in a typing field constantly, even when writing this comment. I guess most users didn’t use it and it’s probably quite a difficult implementation as you say. Oh well, it’s not as if anyone else can sell a phone with 3D Touch.

That’s fantastic.

I prefer to spend my money on anything I personally want.

Just because I can.

And I'm not trying to take that away from you, you work for it, its your money so you can do whatever you want with it all I'm doing its pointing out that you could potentially get more for it :)

That’s fantastic.

Just because I can.

And I'm not trying to take that away from you, you work for it, its your money so you can do whatever you want with it all I'm doing its pointing out that you could potentially get more for it :)
He's the sort that buys brands. All Intel, Alienware and Apple are considered "premium" while Intel CPUs are full of vulnerabilities, Alienware doesn't even make PCs, they just put them together and charge you more for the brand and Apple has poor build quality, hardware and their software department hasn't been doing all that well lately. If you can deceive people into thinking you're making quality products or at least better than the rest you'll immediately have people who will only buy your product cause they are convinced they are safe with your product while others might have issues. That is entirely not true in all of these cases but that's why the term sheep was coined for 'em.

That’s fantastic.

Just because I can.

He's the sort that buys brands. All Intel, Alienware and Apple are considered "premium" while Intel CPUs are full of vulnerabilities, Alienware doesn't even make PCs, they just put them together and charge you more for the brand and Apple has poor build quality, hardware and their software department hasn't been doing all that well lately. If you can deceive people into thinking you're making quality products or at least better than the rest you'll immediately have people who will only buy your product cause they are convinced they are safe with your product while others might have issues. That is entirely not true in all of these cases but that's why the term sheep was coined for 'em.

I’d go back and check if I were you. Apple products are considerably faster, way more secure and have much better build quality than Android phones. On top of this they have way longer driver support and much higher re-sale value.

The term “Apple sheep” refers to people who go around claiming that people only buy Apple because of brand name. This is because these people don’t think for themselves and follow the heard which seems to have the consensus that Apple is overpriced garbage.

Just to give you some idea of what I’m on about, Apples new iPhone 11 will be nearly twice as fast as a Samsung Note 10. For around half the price.

Do some research, you may be surprised at your findings. Android Authority have recently done a video on why Apple is so far ahead at the moment. That would be a good place to start :).

I’d go back and check if I were you. Apple products are considerably faster, way more secure and have much better build quality than Android phones. On top of this they have way longer driver support and much higher re-sale value.

The term “Apple sheep” refers to people who go around claiming that people only buy Apple because of brand name. This is because these people don’t think for themselves and follow the heard which seems to have the consensus that Apple is overpriced garbage.

Just to give you some idea of what I’m on about, Apples new iPhone 11 will be nearly twice as fast as a Samsung Note 10. For around half the price.

Do some research, you may be surprised at your findings. Android Authority have recently done a video on why Apple is so far ahead at the moment. That would be a good place to start :).
I really have to agree on the point of resell value - I am clueless why would anyone buy an year old device with nothing but a 50+% discount, BUT nobody can deny this is how the Apple and Nintendo resale market works.

When it comes to speed test, it tends to get a lot of shaddy - sure iPhones dominate synthetic benchmarks, but in reality phones with lower "numbers" tends to be faster in pretty much everything. Guess multiplatform benchmarks do not produce tangible results.

Security on iOS is pretty piss poor, TBH is the same on Android. It's not really security, it's the feeling your data is secure. I would advise you to do a little research, it was not long ago huge problems were discovered.
But it's IMHO pointless, your data is not secure no matter what platform you use ... ignorance is bliss.

I myself use both platforms - Android phones and tablets and iPad Pro "added to the mixture". Even glorious updates for iOS 9-->11 were pretty much a buggy crap.

I really do not like to be a fanboy of any brand, they simply can't earn ... or afford my ... affection. I might buy a new iPhone 11 Pro ... or not, I might wait for a better device than iPhone Xss ... we'll see ... iPhone 12 Pro certainly feel like a step in the right direction, a small step ... but a good one.

Hmm...I was pretty sure I saw tons of videos of opening apps and such where iPhone X was slower than some Chinese Androids. But I was mainly thinking about MacBooks, which do have a lot of design flaws, that is coming from people who repair them, but iPhones did have the bend gate thing and the singal lose when you hold it a certain way. I'd like you to tell me how Apple is more secure exactly since I'm not a security expert.

And I was talking about the term "sheep" in general, not the Apple sheep, I don't have anything against Apple in particular.

Android phone Snapdragons are just paper chasers.

On paper they claim more power but in reality they are so poorly optimized they can never maintain peak operation or efficiency, while Apple ensures their chips absolutely can.

Android phones need damn near 12GB of RAM while iPhone can make a solid device using less than half.

Frankly, I couldn't possibly care less about what apple haters think regardless their reasoning.

I choose iPhone (specifically) because iPhone and iMovie iOS have allowed me to build my Youtube to 60,000 subs and over 36,000,000 views using the most basic of editing techniques.

iMovie iOS cost me $5.

It's made back that money several dozen times over. My Youtube is a $2000 a month income and will continue to grow.

Could I have done the same on an Android phone? Maybe...but I'm not interested in trying.

I don't like Android's virtual keyboard.

I don't like how Android looks.

I don't like Android's file system.

I don't like Android's anything really.

For what I dropped on my XS Max 512GB I probably could have had a Galaxy Note 10 + a 1TB Micro SD card.

But to me, that's like saying I could have had 2 fully loaded Toyota Corollas instead of my Hellcat Charger.

I will skip iPhone 11 for iPhone 12 just like how I skipped iPhone 8 for iPhone X. All I need is 1TB of storage to make me happiest when I do my travel vlogs in Vietnam, Cambodia and Singapore this coming year. My Vlogs in South Korea, Thailand and Philippines - along with my Business class flight reviews came out so beautifully. I gotta do Singapore Airlines Business class JFK-Changi and Emirates new Business class from JFK-Dubai.

Last edited:
Dudes... if you are commenting through your personal opinion or experience, ENDURE THE BASHING. You are just spiralling down making it worse and worse defending something that's indefendible and all through your experience.

Back