iPhone 13 rumor roundup: smaller notch, 120Hz display, a larger battery and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Well-known Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has shared additional insights about Apple’s next-generation iPhone in a new research note. The phones aren't expected to deliver any game-changing new features but rather, ship with the sort of evolutionary updates we've come to expect from a new flagship smartphone.

According to 9to5Mac who obtained a copy of the note, the iPhone 13 will be offered in the same four sizes as the current-gen iPhone 12. If true, this means the next iPhone will ship with diagonal screen sizes ranging from 5.4 inches up to 6.7 inches.

Kuo also corroborated an earlier report suggesting the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max will employ low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) technology for better efficiency, and gain 120Hz support. The two Pro models will also reportedly receive an upgraded ultra-wide camera with a wider f/1.8 aperture and autofocus, compared to the f/2.4 aperture and fixed-focus on the current models.

Other key hardware changes Kuo expects include a smaller notch and a larger battery (which will make the phones a bit heavier). The new lineup will additionally get an upgrade to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon X60 5G modem.

There’s been talk about Apple abandoning the Lightning connector in favor of USB-C and bringing Touch ID back, but Kuo said their latest survey (presumably of component suppliers) indicates “there is no visibility on the current schedule for the iPhone to adopt these two new specifications.”

With the iPhone 13, Apple is expected to revert back to its normal (pre-Covid) release schedule.

Images courtesy Hadrian, oatawa

Permalink to story.

I'm not upgrading till it offers 1TB storage.

I don't care about the notch.
I don't care about the battery.
I don't care about nothing but 1TB storage.

Still holding onto my old 6S Plus until they get the damn fingerprint reader back. USBC would also be nice, but I'm imagining that Apple will just kill off plugs before they move to that standard.

I think there is less and less reason to upgrade phones often nowadays. With every annual enhancements, you generally don't get meaningful improvement to user experience even with faster SOC and supposedly better camera technologies. Apple is very late in the high refresh rate screen game, but its also not going to be a strong reason to make people upgrade. In fact if anything, its gonna hurt battery life since iPhones don't come with big batteries in the first place. Most Android phones counter the battery drain from the high refresh rate panels by throwing in a bigger battery.

I'm not upgrading till it offers 1TB storage.

I don't care about the notch.
I don't care about the battery.
I don't care about nothing but 1TB storage.

Then your priorities are a little bit... confused. If almost nothing interests you but 1 TB, then you could choose one of the MANY android phones which accept microSD cards (and they are nothing but fast, my S20 with 256 GB microSD card has over which reads at almost 100 MBps and writes between 25 - 35 MBps ... yes megabytes per second). Present cards are fast enough even if you want to install apps there, save 8k video or immediate 108 MP photos. And the gallery also opens pictures "immediately".

It'll be the same slightly rehashed phone as they release every year, in a gaudy colour with an extra $50 on the price. How often do these rumours about Apple including some super-new cutting-edge technology actually come true?

Still holding onto my old 6S Plus until they get the damn fingerprint reader back. USBC would also be nice, but I'm imagining that Apple will just kill off plugs before they move to that standard.

My 8+ has a fingerprint reader on it so you can go to at least there to get some of the newer features if they decide to make your model obsolete this time around

Then your priorities are a little bit... confused. If almost nothing interests you but 1 TB, then you could choose one of the MANY android phones which accept microSD cards (and they are nothing but fast, my S20 with 256 GB microSD card has over which reads at almost 100 MBps and writes between 25 - 35 MBps ... yes megabytes per second). Present cards are fast enough even if you want to install apps there, save 8k video or immediate 108 MP photos. And the gallery also opens pictures "immediately".

Don't bother, he will never abandon his faith ( Apple ) :joy:

Back