iPhone 5 earns a score of 7 out of 10 in iFixit teardown

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Apple devices have traditionally earned a poor score from repair enthusiast site iFixit but their latest handset breaks tradition completely. The iPhone 5 has garnered a repairability score of 7 out of 10 – the higher the score, the easier...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/50260-iphone-5-earns-a-score-of-7-out-of-10-in-ifixit-teardown.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

They're still gonna charge $100 for a replacement screen, so they're not losing any money either way.

spydercanopus

I am so impressed that the screen can be replaced so easily. This is a huge improvement. I bet they'd have gotten an 8 if they went back to phillips screws.

spydercanopus

I highly doubt that is what apple actually wanted
They won some design awards for it, so I'm sure it's exactly what they wanted.

They're still gonna charge $100 for a replacement screen, so they're not losing any money either way.
Then buy the off-brands. They'll be cheap and probably look a little worse. But the days of replacing just the digitizers are over, indeed.

Porters

Hopefully the screen will be a little bit more resilient, I accidentally broke, and then had to pay for my best mate's girlfriend's 4S by having it squashed between my HTC and my thigh in a (mildly inebriated) forward roll.