iPhone X screens experiencing problems in cold weather; Apple working on fix

midian182

Staff member

New handsets often launch with technical problems that force manufacturers to release updates. It’s something Google knows all about, thanks to its Pixel 2 XL. But other than the company warning about potential screen burn-in, Apple hasn’t had the same experience with the iPhone X. However, it seems that, like a lot us, the flagship device can struggle when it gets really cold.

A number of users have highlighted the problem on Reddit. They say that using the handset in cold weather causes the touchscreen to become unresponsive.

“I’ve noticed that my iPhone X screen becomes very unresponsive as soon as I step outside. It literally takes 2 seconds from going inside to the cold outdoors and my screen stops being very responsive. I try swiping on websites and it doesn’t register my finger. It’s very noticeable. Is anyone else having this problem?” writes Redditor Darus214.

Some manufacturers warn that using their devices in low- or high-temperature conditions can cause issues such shortened battery life or unexplained resets, but this seems to be a new problem with the iPhone X.

Apple has acknowledged the issue, which it says is only temporary, and will be fixing it in an upcoming software update.

“We are aware of instances where the iPhone X screen will become temporarily unresponsive to touch after a rapid change to a cold environment. After several seconds the screen will become fully responsive again. This will be addressed in an upcoming software update.”

Additionally, Apple has now rolled out a fix for the iOS problem that was automatically changing the letter “I” into “A[?]” when users were composing messages.

Permalink to story.

"iPhone X screens experiencing problems in cold weather".
An infallible and surefire quick fix would be to place in your wallet to warm it up a bit. I'm sure it'll take months to put the fire out in it after wasting so much money that gadget.

Is there a software fix that will make me more responsive after I'm exposed to the cold weather? Like maybe some sort of drug :)

I can see it now .... Apple will use a page out of Microsoft and claim this is an "undocumented feature" to insure it cuts off and dosen't run down your battery. Just stick in back in your pocket for 5 minutes and it will work fine ....

Is cold weather testing really not a thing when it comes to these devices? We don't all live in sunny California, Apple...

Cold weather to some is normal to others, depending on where you come from. How am I supposed to know on how cold is his cold? On first sight it would seem like it's a hardware issue but they said they will fix it with software update, that's a bit wierd.

Is there a software fix that will make me more responsive after I'm exposed to the cold weather? Like maybe some sort of drug :)

RUM!

Rum Gets me responsive when I get cold.my lumia would just show a gear on screen.totally unresponsive . Under the armpit in the warm.works .in the pocket was no good, thats where it got cold.High humidity and cold temps .cut right to the bone.
Welcome to Newfoundland.

This is the latest update from Apple
s-l225.jpg

Back