Is HD really that great?

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

I may like being able to have a computer monitor the size of a double-basin sink and being able to watch 16:9 movies in native resolution, but I just don't get the point of HD.

It looks exactly the same to me is what I am getting to. My Polaroid 720p in the living room displays Halo 3 on my Xbox as good as on my 27" Tube TV, but not really better. I have even changed the resolution on the Xbox to 720p and noticed no change?

I just want to know if other people see the difference. :rolleyes:

It really is that great, but not great enough for me to spend $140 a month for something I use fof 15 hours a week.

if you are into sports it is the best ihave a bell express view package and there is no way i could go back to digital

It might not be that great for you - but it is a necessity for me and many others. I can easily tell the difference between 720p and 1080i television and 480 really doesn't even get displayed. My television channel list lies between the lowest HD channel and the highest - I don't watch the rest. My PS3 and XBox360 are both hooked up via HDMI and my HTPC is hooked up via a DVI -> HDMI cable. This is part of the reason that Nintendo really upset me - maxing out at 480p :( Once you take 480p to a certain size it just looks bad - greater than 40" in my opinion will clearly show the flaws with non-HD sources.

You gotta be kidding me if you can't see the difference.

But then I suppose, you do notice it only after awhile.

Its like broadband: once you get on, its hard to get off (without a fight of course!)

Yep, it really is that great. Now SD on a 27" flat tube can look pretty good, but still nothing compared to even 720p HD. Now, if you are comparing a DVD to HDDVD or Bluray then I can see it being a little harder to tell. Upconverting players do a pretty good job of faking HD, and then some HD movies aren't as good as others as far as picture quality.

Sports too are much much better to watch in HD. I watch a little football (college and pro) and a lot of college basketball, and the widescreen format of HD allows you to see more of the field/court at once, and at higher detail than SD.

Also like LNCPapa, I rarely watch any channel that isn't in HD, and with the limited selection of HD channels by my cable company that means I don't watch much other than CBS, NBC, PBS, National Geographic, and DiscoveryHD Theater.

Disclaimer: I have a 46" Bravia, so SD on anything that size is going to look like crap.

You should notice the difference right away. If not, there is something wrong with the signal source or your hardware. I used to wonder what all the fuss was about until I finally saw it for myself.

Yes, I have a 27" Insignia (1080i, not p) and it is VERY noticable.

I don't even pay for my HD, because it really is a waste of money. Just go buy a multi-directional antannae and a booster, and BAM, you get 20+ channels (30 something for me).

Why watch TV when you've got a computer?

I hardly ever watch TV, even though I've got 4 free HD channels.

I do watch a few DVDs, but those aren't really HD.

Not looking at buying a PS3 anytime soon (will consider it when price drops dramatically).

And even then, I see the difference between standard, and HD (especially when switching to standard def channels).

mopar man said:
Yes, I have a 27" Insignia (1080i, not p) and it is VERY noticable.

I don't even pay for my HD, because it really is a waste of money. Just go buy a multi-directional antannae and a booster, and BAM, you get 20+ channels (30 something for me).
Yes, that would be nice, but not everyone lives in areas like that. I live 110 miles away from 3 cities that have their own TV stations. This puts me right at the very edge of all 3's coverage area. Meaning I get an incredibly weak analog signal, and I'm sure the chances of getting a digital signal at all are very low.

True. I hadn't really thought about that.

On the other hand, I might as well list the channels I watch:
3.1 (NBC)
3.2 (Weather)

9.1 (ABC)

12.1 (CBS

20.1 (CW)

23.1 (church)
23.2 (church)

27.1 (local)

45.1 (PBS)
45.2 (PBS)
45.3 (PBS)
45.4 (PBS)

53.1 (CW)

61.1 (FOX)
61.2 (My Network TV)

*Note that these are channels I watch, not get*

LMAO.... well that is what I'd do, too.....

I that illegal, btw? I wouldn't think so, not if you were doing something like converting it into a computer... it may not be good, but it could possibly be a good web browser, right?

Sweet

How hard WOULD it be to turn into a full computer? I would thinks that the USB ports could be the Keyboard/Mouse....

I am going to do research and post a topic on this in the G&C forum.

I refuse to watch anything if it isn't in shiny HD these days! - The difference is like putting on glasses and being able to actually focus in on something

Back