Is it bad to have very high CPU usage?

I run a program that uses java almost 24/7 on my extra computers. Usually takes up about 190,000K memory and 30-60% of CPU.

My overall CPU ranges from 40-90%, I run teamviewer alot too. What would be a possible outcome if I continue to let it run like this?

Computer:
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
2.42GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Thats my system information, I understand what RAM is, but I really dont know anything about my CPU, if someone would explain it to me or tell me where to go Id really appreciate it.

Thankyou, Grant

What does the 2 different number from right clicking on computer and going to properties meen? I'm talking about the 2.40GHz 2.42GHz, I'm confused on there being 2 different numbers also.
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU (2.40GHz
2.42GHz)

What does the 2 different number from right clicking on computer and going to properties meen? I'm talking about the 2.40GHz 2.42GHz, I'm confused on there being 2 different numbers also.
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU (2.40GHz
2.42GHz)

One of the values is the manufacturers rated speed, can't remember which way round it is but the current speed its running at is usually after the model number. My work desktop for example says "intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, E4400 @ 2.00GHz, 2.00Ghz, 3.00GB of RAM".

Think this was added in at the point where processors started coming with "turbo" modes. Some modern processors will scale back when not doing anything intensive to lower frequencies to save power/reduce heat output etc. In that case you might see something like "Intel(R) Core i7 950 @ 1.6GHz, 3.2 GHz" where the 1.6GHz is the low power scaled back speed. If you then launch processes which use the CPU it will scale up to full speed/turbo.

CPU utilisation is high, but as long as your system temperatures are under control (not exceeding manufacturers limits) then there is no real harm running 24/7. Might reduce the lifespan of the chip a little as it is a desktop version and not server but since these will be rated for many years of use it will probably be in a museum before it stops working correctly :)

I would agree with everything that's been said so far, save for the fact that this is already a museum piece, it simply hasn't been donated yet.

That aside, you might try downloading IDU lite (Intel desktop Utilities Lite) from Intel. (Or any other system monitoring software you feel comfortable with, to keep an eye on temps.

It would be interesting to know if this P-4 is a Prescott or one of the older Northwood offerings. (Socket 478) The Prescotts are notorious space heaters, while the Northwoods don't carry that stigma.

I've ran most of my computers with distributed computing programs over the years with no issues.Average CPU % is 75% +. Many have ran 24/7. The PC will be obsolete long before components break down in general. As long as you do basic maintenance (cleaning) and have adequate ventilation, you should be ok.

I have core temp, not on that computer tho. I'll have to put it on there, but there is good ventilation. I got plenty of fans to add to it, plus its in a cold area of the house.

I dont see anything about Prescott on any of these computers. Would it be under Computer Properties? By the CPU specs?

sounds fine, as long as you know that you are running a program all the time -
if you aren't, this happens when your computer has been hijacked.

You will see it if you are running CPU-Z

You can still see your CPU usage without CPU-z, just go to Task Manager by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Delete and then select the Performance Tab. Here it is your CPU usage..

if it's too high.. 70% or more, i think your PC is infected with malicious software or you're using too many programs simultaneously or your pc hardware (processor) is overheating..

just my opinion^_^ hope this helps.

Back