Is It Bad to Have Your Desktop PC on the Floor?

learninmypc

Despite the name, a desktop PC doesn’t have to be on a desk. That huge tower PC would fit nicely on the floor, sure. But you should think about ventilation and dust so that your gaming PC doesn’t overheat. FULL ARTICLE

My old file server (win/98 se from Gateway) has been on the floor for over a decade now ...

ps: I said it was O L D :grin:

I have a custom built tower on the floor (hardwood) that the case has dust filters on all intakes. I clean the filters every month and clean the inside of the machine every 3 months. No issues. A properly maintained computer will do fine on the floor.

I've had all my PC in my house, including my gaming PC on the floor for YEARS and have never had a problem. Even with 4 pets. You should be fine. Just make sure you dust it out every few weeks/months depending on how dusty the area is. Dust wont break a computer or any components. Dust buildup on parts just acts like an insulating barrier and reduces the efficiency of cooling systems.

Regards,
Adrian

Desktops shouldn't really be a problem as cases/towers are usually good at protecting the internal components from electrostatic discharge although, as mentioned by AdrianG001, you should take care to clean your hardware on occasion to prevent any buildup such as dust (can potentially be very bad for internal devices such as graphics cards or even the motherboard).

I think laptop computers are a different story though, as the design is more compact with a much thinner layer of protection and less separation in distance between components, leaving them more prone to ESD. In this scenario, as long as there's no way to generate static electricity from the floor (often an issue with carpets), then I believe it should be fine.

Back