Is it hibernating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago, my office computer (HP Pavillion 533w) just started shutting down in the middle of whatever I was doing. The screen would go black and the CPU would appear to "hibernate" for lack of a better description. I can still hear it running and it will power down if I press and hold the power button, but it doesn't sound like it's doing anything.

This problem has progressively gotten worse, as it used to stay up for 10-15 minutes after bootup and now it won't even get past the inital bootup.

I tried a system restore, which it stayed operational for up unitl it restarted and continued it's previous behavior.

I've got an inkling that its a hardware problem, but I'm not the most computer literate person. Any ideas??

Since this is an office computer, is it a home office or a corporate office. If you work for someone else, have your IT department repair, or replace your computer for you... I work in a home office. I am the IT department :)

The screen would go black and the CPU would appear to "hibernate" for lack of a better description.
get a command prompt (run -> cmd) and then enter eventvwr.msc

dbl-click on System. On the right panel will be the data recorded.
FIRST look for red X errors starting from the top and scrolling down.
Note the date/time. You want info that relates to the last time you experienced the symptom.

[you may see one or more yellow ! warnings also

dbl-click on the red X. On the top right are two arrows and an icon of two pages (that's the copy button). Click it.

Come back here and paste the info in your next follow-up.

Keeping the follow-up open, you can now copy/paste several of these so we can see
what's happinging on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back