Is this a sign of artifacting and a failing card?

phonb

I have a MSI Geforce 256mb NX7600GS that's been giving me headaches lately. XP will only boot in safe modes or vga mode and only at the lowest possible resolution and color depth. When attempting to boot normally I get past the XP loading screen then video ceases to output and after checking event viewer in safe mode I see it's the infamous nv4 infinite loop error. I've checked the Ram, updated all drivers for card, chipset, and bios. Unfortunately no other computers are available to test the card in. Power settings are correct and driver sweeper ensures a clean driver is installed. However the fansink has been broken for awhile on the card, though I've monitored the temp closely with speedfan to make sure it's not burning.

Back to my topic, the first sign something is iffy is during POST after the initial Bios load screen (IDE and Ram detect). After that screen the usual Realtek boot message appears but, is multicolored instead of the normal all white. All subsequent screens appear with multicolored text (ex. below). is this artifacting and a sign the card is failing?

http://img231.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34765_bios_122_201lo.JPG

Well, it's not normal, but artifacting is usually pixelated, not full letters.

Back