Issues with sound on my laptop

Hi, so I've been having issues with the sound on my laptop for a while now. I had the red x next to my speaker icon for a few months, and I assumed this was because my sound card was done and I needed a new one. I finally got around to messing with it today, and I found that my drivers were out of date. I updated them and restarted my computer. The red x was gone, but I'm still not getting sound out of my laptop speakers. I've messed with the sliders, disabled and re-enabled the device, even tried plugging in external speakers to play through there.

I've noticed that when I do adjust the volume on the slider, it responds as if the laptop IS making sound, I just can't hear it. Also, when I plug my laptop into HDMI, the sound works fine. Anyone have any idea what my issue could be? Thanks in advance.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P740, if that helps.

Hey sethr266, this is probably a lame way to go but it has helped myself in these weird situations. Have you tried Microsoft fix it? If not Google Microsoft fix it audio problems. It may help. Also you can try uninstalling the audio driver in device manager for the onboard audio driver but keep the driver file when it ask. Restart the laptop and let it reinstall itself.

Back