It looks like rounded corners are coming back to Windows

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Next year could see Windows 10's UI become slightly less pointy. Microsoft’s Fluent Design visual overhaul has already made its way to several of the firm’s apps and services, and it looks to be bringing rounded corners to Windows, Xbox, Office, and other products in the future.

Zac Bowden, senior editor at Windows Central, tweeted out a screenshot showing an early version of the redesigned UI, complete with curvy corners, being tested in the Windows 10 20H1 preview build.

Microsoft’s new Chromium-powered Edge browser, which can be downloaded now, uses curved corners for its tabs, so it appears that the company is trying to expand this look across more of the operating system.

Based on the vast majority of replies to Bowden’s post, most people aren’t fans of the design change. “God no, the previous one looked clean. I liked it. This is ugly. The shades of grey, the rough drop shadow, the corners. Good god,” wrote one user.

Up until Windows 8, Microsoft had been using rounded corners to some extent. Assuming it pushes ahead with the plan and adds the change next year, it appears that we’ll be returning to a look from the Windows 7, Vista, and XP era.

In addition to the round corners, another Fluent Design change in the 20H1 update is rumored to be a revamp of Windows File Explorer, which may also get some functional improvements such as better app integration.

Windows 10 20H1 is expected to roll out to everyone in the first half of next year.

Permalink to story.

I really do wonder why is it so difficult to admit the UI is garbage and return to the previous one in 7. It takes 2x or 3x more time/clicks to setup anything in W10 compared to Win7.
Wish they would focus on fixing the search also. This is a broken mess for finding anything on your computer or start menu. No, I don't want to do a web search for my "documents" folder and I love how if you type the exact phrase of the document you often get zero results, but if you are short by one or two characters it finds suggestions (below web results). Thanks Microsoft.

homer.jpg

That is vile, that drop shadow is making me feel sick. I don't mind round corners. 5px-25px depending on the element you are applying it to.

I really do wonder why is it so difficult to admit the UI is garbage and return to the previous one in 7. It takes 2x or 3x more time/clicks to setup anything in W10 compared to Win7.

If it's really true for the actual W10 build, I'm not surprised we are far from seeing W10 domination. Perhaps, this move to rounded corners somehow comes inline with the upcoming W7 eol.

Wish they would focus on fixing the search also. This is a broken mess for finding anything on your computer or start menu. No, I don't want to do a web search for my "documents" folder and I love how if you type the exact phrase of the document you often get zero results, but if you are short by one or two characters it finds suggestions (below web results). Thanks Microsoft.

Same thing for just typing in "updates" Not sure how many times I've been sent to the web browser to search engine "updates" but I just want frickin' windows updates... so then backspace on the 's' and it finds it, but then type the 's' and it finds it.. I'm guessing it's some indexing issue. Seems to be worse on slower PCs, and usually quicker on PC's with good CPUs like i5/i7. Such a strange problem, I have been wondering if this was widely known.

Same thing for just typing in "updates" Not sure how many times I've been sent to the web browser to search engine "updates" but I just want frickin' windows updates... so then backspace on the 's' and it finds it, but then type the 's' and it finds it.. I'm guessing it's some indexing issue. Seems to be worse on slower PCs, and usually quicker on PC's with good CPUs like i5/i7. Such a strange problem, I have been wondering if this was widely known.
Yeah, totally. I notice the results change too when backing up and going forward again. Very odd behavior and quite random at times. I'm running a Threadripper 2950X and have an M.2 NVMe hard drive and the results come up quickly (most of the time) but are so random at times. I wish Windows would just provide a local suggestion first (in this order: file, folder, program, shortcut) and only provide web suggestions with maybe a keyword hint, like "-web" or something so it knew I am not interested in web results at all. Not sure why Microsoft has allowed the search to be so broken for so long. It's obvious and yet they don't address it.

Ha ha, called it almost two years ago. Next addition will be high-color icons :)

First we get Chromium, now this. Perhaps Microsoft is starting to get a clue. Now if we can just get all the non-telemetry spying and cloud garbage disabled by default we'll be making real progress!

I personally think Windows 7 looks old fashioned, I like the flat look. That said I have installed startisback so I don't have to deal with the metro start menu

I like square windows and want them to stay. Everything is easy to read, sleek, informative. Round corners do not remind me of technology or cutting edge, it is something you do for toys and children. Windows 8 was aesthetically the first Windows I really liked and Windows 10 improved on that. Now Microsoft is doing changes that are not in my favour, like Chorimum based Edge. Points going down for Microsoft. I gave them few times 5 star feedback on Windows 10 when prompted the query, but certainly not anymore. Thankfully Microsoft listens to feedback and can adjust later.

Why go rounded now? Google is doing the same and Google's target audience has been children for a long time now. If you earn the trust of children as your user base, in the future you have a vast audience and with good luck a loyal one. Kids are not stupid though and when they grow up they reveal the dirtyness of Google in all it's glory.

Try Start10 from Stardock. It's been a bloody godsend for me.

I guess they could do that weird thing and let the user choose which version they like more, I mean you already did the work for square corners why not leave them and let the user choose to keep them.

Back