Japanese restaurant replaces waiters with conveyor belt to deliver your food

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I love going out to eat at local restaurants. Not only do I have access to a much wider variety of food than I could cook at home, I don’t have to deal with dirtying up and then cleaning the dishes. As you are likely well aware, however, restaurants more often than not have one common complaint: the service stinks.

A Japanese restaurant has come up with a novel approach to the issue – simply get rid of the waiters. The restaurant has installed an elaborate conveyor belt that runs along the side of each table. If you see a dish that you’d like to eat, simply take it off the belt and chow down. In the event you don’t see what you’re after, you can order a custom dish from a touch screen tablet and have it sent out via conveyor belt when ready.

When you’ve finished, simply dispose of each dish into a slot under the conveyer belt. Your bill is calculated based on how many plates you send down the chute.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

This is not something new or specific to one restaurant, this has been going for a while in Japan and is also being used in many Japanese restaurants in Europe. This was first used in 1958 so you're just a little behind the times.

Ok after watching the video there is a bit more to this restaurant with its tablet menu and priority conveyor belt. As long as it doesn't break down :)

No no
not automatic human feeder
this is an automatic animal feeder
so
Japanese and Chinese and Asian waiters are the best

Dude, this sort of thing has been around for ages.

I mean, live in Perth and I know of a sushi bar like this one.

And nothing interesting ever happens in Perth.

Yeah, this isn't new.

And it isn't even the most novel way.

There's a restaurant (I forget the name) which delivers your food and drink via miniature railway trains which run all through the restaurant.

This is based on "Kaiten" sushi bars but takes it to the next level with the disposal chute and automatic count.

Traditional kaiten sushi will have the waiter/waitress bring you your drink, take any special orders and count the colored plates at the end of the meal. This does replace the waiter/waitress for those duties: you probably go get your drink at the fountain drink, order special items on the screen and it automatically counts your bill for you.

Tipping in Japan is considered rude as they believe good service should be provided as standard.

Most waiters in my country aren't paid at all so a tip is mandatory. I suppose waiters in Japan are paid something by whoever they work for.

Back