Javascript problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. My PC has WinXP SP2 and I have a problem with webpages not displaying properly in IE6. It seems that any site with the ending .aspx won't load at all, i just get a blank page with no error messages or anything to tell me what the problem is.
The view source tells me that javascript is disabled - but its not!
Also, parts of webpages written in Javascript won't display in IE6 even though all the right boxes are checked in Internet Options where Active Scripting and Java are enabled.
Java is enabled in Java Control Panel too.
If i go to Myspace for example, in the area of the page where the music player should be it tells me that either i have an old version of Flash Player installed (i don't, i have the latest version) or javascript is turned off (yet according to the IE6 settings menu, its enabled).
What is causing the machine to override its own settings? I have the latest version of JRE (v1.6 update 5) and windows is fully updated too.

Strangely enough though, i can view these pages perfectly in Opera browser and all the java bits and pieces work just fine. I can play a java game online using opera but i can't play a java game on my desktop because it won't load at all. Does anyone know why this is?

Another issue is that I have Mcafee Security Center which i want to uninstall as its out-of-date, but i can't because this won't display either, all i get is the Mcafee window launching ok but showing a blank screen, again with no error messages. When i try the mcafee uninstaller in Add or remove progs it just opens a blank mcafee window.
And all of the right-click options on the mcafee toolbar icon also open a blank page too.
It will carry out a virus scan when its scheduled to do so but i can't view the results - blank page again!

This is the third day i've spent trying to sort this out and i'm totally baffled. I've tried all the standard stuff like clearing caches, deleting temporary internet files and cookies etc, to no avail.
Also, I noticed that when i try ticking the box to enable access to Microsoft Virtual Machine in Set Program Access and Defaults, it won't stay ticked. Is this indicating a problem with MS-VM?

Most of the stuff i've read about java and scripting is aimed at developers and programmers and its way over my head to be honest, which is why i'm asking for help on here!
Does anyone have a clue whats gone wrong here?
Would there be any point in uninstalling all versions of Java and reinstalling
just the latest version? Or does the problem lie elsewhere, like in Microsoft VM for example?
I just don't understand why this goddamned machine is ignoring its own settings. Please help!

start with some basics;

a url ending in .asp or .aspx is a program that runs on the webserver, not your system
and your Internet settings do not control that side.
Your Javascript or Java settings are germane to to your system and more specifically,
the browser on your system.

Using cp->Internet Options are primarily IE settings, not Firefox or Opera, they are controlled
using their Tools->Options

You don't need MS VM so disable or uninstall until you get this sorted out.

Leave JAVA alone; it's not involved.

I would try (or install) Firefox as a means to segregate the issue to the IE browser vs your TCP or security setup.

Have you run the Windows XP Error Check?

My Computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Check> check both boxes on the screen that comes up> OK> Close the nag message and Reboot.

Let the Error Checking run to completion. This should be a part of your routine maintenance.

Problem solved

Hi, thanks for replying to my post. I've managed to solve the problem, it was all down to Internet explorer.
Someone recommended i run a program called IEFix and it sorted my troubles like magic! I have no idea what it actually did but now everything works perfectly!
Thanks again for your replies :)

IEFIX

IEFix - is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files and reinstalls using the IE.INF file. More Information is given below. Suitable for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP systems.

Thanks jobeard. I haven't used that one. I note that the first option suggests inserting the Windows XP CD if available.

The XP disc isn't essential to run IEFix successfully. I don't have a disc myself as this PC was bought secondhand and XP was already installed on it so no disc. When i ran IEFix it asked for the filepaths of several files, i just did a search for each one as they came up and copypasted the file locations into the box.
Easy peasy, even for a halfwit like me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back