Jeff Bezos retains Amazon voting power after finalizing divorce

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? MacKenzie Bezos tweeted today that she is letting her ex-husband Jeff Bezos keep 75 percent of their co-owned Amazon stock as well as voting rights to her 25 percent. Since the company was started after the two were married, it is technically common property meaning that they are each entitled to a 50-percent share.

While the move is indeed generous, it does not leave the 48-year-old divorcée anywhere near the poor house. The couple had owned a 16-percent share in Amazon stock worth more than $140 billion. According to an SEC 8K filing, MacKenzie’s stake leaves her with a four-percent cut of the Amazon pie worth $35 billion, clearly enough to do anything and everything she could ever want to do.

In addition to only keeping a quarter of their Amazon shares, she is also letting him have all of her interests in Blue Origin and the Washington Post. Blue Origin was founded in 2000 and Amazon acquired the Washington Post in 2013. Under divorce law, MacKenzie would be entitled to a half share in each of those as well.

The two are parting amicably, and MacKenzie says she is looking forward to her future plans. Although she did not get specific, part of those plans include remaining friends with her ex and co-parenting their four children with him.

When the couple first announced they were getting a divorce, it threw a lot of uncertainty into what would happen with Amazon. As it turns out, Jeff Bezos will maintain the same voting power as he had before, so it should remain status quo.

Permalink to story.

MacKenzie, baby! Where have you been all my life? I can see myself taking very good care of this wonderful lady... with no ulterior motives what so ever. Honest!

Good for her that she was ok with 25% even though she likely could have gotten more since there was no prenup, amazon's rise came after they got married, and WA state is community property state.

Hope she moves her money to a safe space...perhaps Amazon won't be as profitable once the government hounds go after it, Google etc...

Poor little thing .... only going to be one of the top 5 richest women in the world ... what will she do to make ends meet?!?!?!?!

Stuff to happen next:

- MacKenzie to receive various honorary degress of institution trying to suck up to her.
- MacKenzie to have a crazy idea in her mind " The Billionarie crazy type.. like wanting to reach the center of the earth or something.
-MacKenzie to apear in the list of the most powerfull /influencial women of the globe (forbes type of stuff) even.
-MacKenzie to buy a Yatch.

MacKenzie when you get to the the " Hook up with a sabroso latino" part of the list.. well.. Here I am.

Why torment yourself with the old sex partner when you can afford a fresh young one for every night, or whatever the f. you want? My guess, this is what's been going on, and they just finally made it official.

Not to be too judging, but there gotta be a level of craze you would want with all that money.

Maybe she will create a linux distro with a display server from ground up, and a brand new desktop too, so she can be boss, still make no harm on a worldwide scale. Then trash the whole thing of course.

Stuff to happen next:

- MacKenzie to receive various honorary degress of institution trying to suck up to her.
- MacKenzie to have a crazy idea in her mind " The Billionarie crazy type.. like wanting to reach the center of the earth or something.
-MacKenzie to apear in the list of the most powerfull /influencial women of the globe (forbes type of stuff) even.

MacKenzie when you get to the the " Hook up with a sabroso latino" part of the list.. well.. Here I am.
Stuff to happen next:

Look at you people, discussing Jeff's personal life, fanatsizing about what he desires with all his money can buy. If what if people talked about you this way?
What if people were speculating about all the orgies you can afford and probably host with attractive young people who sell themselves to rich old farts like you!

But to be completely honest, Jeff seems to me exactly like the guy who snorts cocaine of the bodies of attractive women while also doing some other weird stuff.
talented people are often messed up in the head in many ways, No point arguing that.

All those ludicrous sums of money they are amicably divvying up should have been spent on your roads, schools and hospitals.
The tax avoidance schemes these people dream up, whilst not illegal are morally disgusting.

Wow. The amicable parting of the ways and cooperation in raising the children meant more to her than the $$$$$. Good for her. I think she comes out of this (and probably went into this) looking MUCH more respectable than he does. Not only that, but she seems taller than he does.

My life is empty without money too, better the other way, right?
That depends on which fork of the road one takes...
All those ludicrous sums of money they are amicably divvying up should have been spent on your roads, schools and hospitals.
The tax avoidance schemes these people dream up, whilst not illegal are morally disgusting.
Like I said before in the forums here, I do not view "modern" society as being much beyond feudalism. Just like the old days, the kings these days get all the money and everyone else suffers. Bezos fortune has come not only at the expense of crApazon's employees, but at the expense of everyone else, too.
Wow. The amicable parting of the ways and cooperation in raising the children meant more to her than the $$$$$. Good for her. I think she comes out of this (and probably went into this) looking MUCH more respectable than he does. Not only that, but she seems taller than he does.
I had not considered it, but you have a point, IMO. It sounds like she has a sense of honor and knows when enough is enough.

That depends on which fork of the road one takes...

Like I said before in the forums here, I do not view "modern" society as being much beyond feudalism. Just like the old days, the kings these days get all the money and everyone else suffers. Bezos fortune has come not only at the expense of crApazon's employees, but at the expense of everyone else, too.

I had not considered it, but you have a point, IMO. It sounds like she has a sense of honor and knows when enough is enough.

It's better then Feudalism because the serfs don't even realize their position and they aren't guaranteed their share. At least in a feudal system, the serfs were given a share of land, food, ect. In modern capitalistic America? You don't get any guarantee and instead of the rich giving you a small portion of their assets you give the rich a portion of your assets. Of course it's not direct, but the average american is paying 35% federal and 8% state tax while the average Rich person pays 8% federal and 5% state. And guess how skims off a huge chunk of that government cash? The rich, from corporate welfare to bailouts.

It's better then Feudalism because the serfs don't even realize their position and they aren't guaranteed their share. At least in a feudal system, the serfs were given a share of land, food, ect. In modern capitalistic America? You don't get any guarantee and instead of the rich giving you a small portion of their assets you give the rich a portion of your assets. Of course it's not direct, but the average american is paying 35% federal and 8% state tax while the average Rich person pays 8% federal and 5% state. And guess how skims off a huge chunk of that government cash? The rich, from corporate welfare to bailouts.
Do you mean it is worse than feudalism?

Anyway, I am right there with you on corporate welfare. As I see it, that is what our current system supports, and it certainly does not seem to be making anything better. Everything is going to :poop: right now while huge corporations sit on piles of money that are larger than the GNP of many countries.

What's that. Capitalism failing ?no surprise here.capitalism has all ways been a failure,since the ancient Romans.or who ever first came up with the idea.its due to hit bottom again.just hope the whole of society doesn't go with it.

Back