Jetway mbd and win xp setup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put together a used Jetway V500 DAP motherboard with new ram and a GeForce 5200 AGP card for a friend.

while this system runs linux fine I'm having an annoying problem setting XP Pro up, once the basic install has done and the system restarts there's nothing on screen apart from a solid while bar across the bottom of the screen and no hdd access attempted!

has anyone else had this problem or got any ideas as it's driving me mad!!!

Thanks in advance

Just trying to get you to provide details:

Is this a multi-boot you're trying to set up or a separate and solo IDE XP install?

Can get into bios no problem, I removed all the existing partitions from the system when installing windows and let setup create one (20Gb)

The section of setup where it copies the basic files is where I'm stuck, it ejected the cd and restarted, then after the bios messages etc the screen goes black and no hdd access. looks like a hardware issue but I'm stuck for an idea as I@ve never experienced a problem like this before

yes, thanks

there were no partitions when I started setup, I had this problem before I set linux up, it was only installed to give my friend something to surf with, I'm now trying again to set windows up as he's more familiar with it than linux

The cd door shouldn't have ejected anything - I have never seen that on installs.

The install cd will say 'press any key to boot from cd' twice - the first time (install start) you do so, the second time you don't touch anything.

sorry I meant to say that I ejected the cd when prompted to and then didn't touch anything, it's after this (when for example win98 used to say starting windows.....) that the solid white bar appears and nothing else happens

XP install tells you to eject the floppy disk if you used one for F6 Sata or SCSI drivers, NOT to eject the cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back