John Romero is starting work on a new FPS

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Doom co-creator John Romero has been on something of a reemergence over the last few years, developing new content for Doom and releasing a mafia-themed strategy game under his new label, Romero Games. Now the company is in the earliest stages of Romero's first original shooter in decades.

On Tuesday, John Romero announced his studio has a new first-person shooter in development with an as-of-yet unnamed major publisher. Romero Games is currently hiring for the project. The famed designer is widely known for his work on Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake, so the fact that he's got another FPS on the drawing board comes as little surprise.

The new title is in very early development, so little information is currently available. Romero's announcement and the hiring FAQ hint that it will be a new intellectual property using Unreal Engine 5. Positions are open for level designers, character artists, animators, technical artists, graphics programmers, and other roles. Romero Games offers co-op placements, transition year placements, training workshops, and internships.

In late 2020, the company released the prohibition era-themed strategy game Empire of Sin together with Paradox Interactive. In 2019, Romero developed and independently launched Sigil, a large pack of free levels for the original Doom, and in March this year released a new Doom II map to raise charity for Ukraine. In addition to the new game, Romero plans to design more Doom II levels and personal a memoir to be published next year.

Permalink to story.

Romero's last foray into the FPS shooter genre (Daikatana) was an utter disaster. This will be no different. This is just a cash-grab based on name recognition.

The negativity is easy and for a good reason. Daikatana was extravagantly hyped by Romero and when it finally arrived was a complete POS. He has to live that combo down before being given the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Romero's last foray into the FPS shooter genre (Daikatana) was an utter disaster. This will be no different. This is just a cash-grab based on name recognition.
IKR? This guy made a bunch of good maps for Doom, then got kicked out because of laziness, and it's been going downhill ever since. He had one short burst in his life, and that's it.

Poor Romero. He gets this thrown back in his face all the time, despite the fact that Daikatana was 22 years ago. Since that time, he's worked on 23 titles and while none of them have been hits, his own dev studio is now 7 years old. Besides, how many of today's young gamers are even going to recognise the name, or the significance of his first work, without Googling him?

I watched John try to play one of the new Doom games. It's hard to watch. Don't have much hope for this. If they can just keep him away and just use his name it might be alright lol

Daikatana was 22 years ago.
11813542.jpg

Poor Romero. He gets this thrown back in his face all the time, despite the fact that Daikatana was 22 years ago. Since that time, he's worked on 23 titles and while none of them have been hits, his own dev studio is now 7 years old. Besides, how many of today's young gamers are even going to recognise the name, or the significance of his first work, without Googling him?
Worked on 23 titles since Doom and nobody can name a single one of them except for the disaster named Daikatana. This guy is to the game industry what one-hit wonders are to the music industry.

The negativity is easy and for a good reason. Daikatana was extravagantly hyped by Romero and when it finally arrived was a complete POS. He has to live that combo down before being given the benefit of the doubt.
It's nice to know you are a positive thinker. Keep it up. BTW I didn't think it was a POS why do you think it was?

I watched John try to play one of the new Doom games. It's hard to watch. Don't have much hope for this. If they can just keep him away and just use his name it might be alright lol
The new Doom games are hard to play.

It's nice to know you are a positive thinker. Keep it up. BTW I didn't think it was a POS why do you think it was?
I'm not a positive thinker... I'm a thinker. Don't know about you. And what I recall most about the gameplay was the terribly clunky combat. The core of game... and it was like a bad joke. Trying to swat giant wasps or something with the sword. You can tell us all the things you liked about Daikatana, here, now.

Last edited:
So your list of Daikatana plusses is the same as mine: zero. But you took me to task for saying so in the first place. Maybe next time think twice... and when you've mastered that skill - keep it up.

Last edited:
So your list of Daikatana plusses is the same as mine: zero. But you took me to task for saying so in the first place. Maybe next time think twice... and when you've mastered that skill - keep it up.
You didn't even play it did you?

I played it enough to know it was a POS. Your list of positives? Derived from your actually having played it, of course. Still waiting for that.
I don't believe you played it. The positives? I had fun. I did not jump on the wagon of hate because the game was by rock star Romero who people were terribly jealous of because he was rich, successful and had the type of girl friend some lusted for. So many folk can't wait for people to falter so they can pile on. I never could understand that. Like you Romero is just a guy trying to get by best he knows how.

I don't believe you played it. ... I did not jump on the wagon of hate because the game was by rock star Romero
I don't give a rat's rear what you believe. Nor did I ever give one about John Romero. Peddle your holier-than-thou shtick to someone who does. Because as I now see, this was all just you wanting to tell us how even-handed and fair you are. Dully noted.

Last edited:
Back