JPR: GPU shipments down in Q4 2012 for AMD, Intel and Nvidia

Jos

Staff

Jon Peddie Research has released its latest report on the graphics market, announcing that combined discrete and integrated GPU shipments in Q4 2012 dropped 8.2% sequentially and 11.5% on a year-to-year basis. The underwhelming results were largely blamed on the popularity of tablets and the persistent recession, causing JPR to revise its compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for PC graphics from 2012 to 2016 to 3.2%, with the total shipments of graphics chips in 2016 expected to be 549 million units.

It was a disappointing quarter for every one of the major players. Intel’s shipments dropped the least quarter-to-quarter at just 2.9%, while AMD slipped 13.6% and Nvidia was down 16.7%. In terms of market share Intel held on to its dominant position and actually gained 3.4% to 63.4% at the expense of AMD and Nvidia, which dropped 1.2 and 1.73 points respectively to 19.7% and 16.9%.

Jon Peddie notes that the numbers suggest more and more users are finding that embedded graphics, such as those found in Intel's and AMD's processors, are "good enough."

Market share this quarter Market share last quarter Unit change quarter to quarter Share difference quarter to quarter Market share last year
AMD 19.7% 21.0% -13.6% -1.2% 24.8%
Intel 63.4% 60.0% -2.9% 3.4% 59.2%
Nvidia 16.9% 18.6% -16.7% -1.73% 15.7%
Via/S3 0.0% 0.4% -100% 0.0% 0.4%
Total 100.0% 100.0% -8.2%   100.2%

Here are a few other findings from JPR’s latest report on the graphics market:

• AMD's quarter-to-quarter total shipments of desktop APUs increased 0.8% from Q3 and declined 19.1% in notebooks. The company's overall PC graphics shipments slipped 13.6%.
  • Intel's quarter-to-quarter desktop processor-graphics EPG shipments increased from last quarter by 3%, and Notebooks fell by 6.76%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments dropped 2.9%.
  • Nvidia's quarter-to-quarter desktop discrete shipments fell 15.1% from last quarter; and, the company's mobile discrete shipments dropped 18.4%. The company's overall PC graphics shipments declined 16.7%.
  • Year to year this quarter AMD shipments declined 29.4%, Intel dropped 5%, Nvidia slipped 4.6%, and VIA fell 10% from last year.
  • Total discrete GPUs (desktop and notebook) fell 15.9% from the last quarter and were down 9.7% from last year for the same quarter due to the same problems plaguing the overall PC industry.

Permalink to story.

Nvidia better wake up. I can see more and more casual users using integraded CPU/GPUs. That new handhell console is hit and miss and their mobile products are competing with texas instruments, apple and others.

Hmm intel showed a 2.9% drop in graphics = 2.9% drop in comsumer CPU's since all consumer CPU' except very select bunch have graphics intergrated

AMD having the performance crown and good price/perf doesn't seem to be helping them and drop in laptop sales seems to have hurt them the most

I have no idea how Nvidia was able to gain market share....

I'm disappointed in AMD for taking so blasted long to get faster/lower power APU for Tablets. The C-series are good apu's but dated. Time for some 2x2ghz Intel/Nvidia eating powzazz.

It's probably due in part to the global recession. People tend to hold on to their stuff longer than they used to. I know I do.

This is not surprising at all. The graphics card market has a huge issue with price manipulation. When you look at prices for discrete GPU across various shops, there are huge price variations for even the same products. It's almost like they don't even want you to buy the GPU.

This is not surprising at all. The graphics card market has a huge issue with price manipulation. When you look at prices for discrete GPU across various shops, there are huge price variations for even the same products. It's almost like they don't even want you to buy the GPU.

true, in the us the prices can vary from 160$ to 220$ for a 7850, and prices seem to change constantly

AMD having the performance crown and good price/perf doesn't seem to be helping them

If you look at the last 5 years, AMD has held onto the single GPU performance crown for maybe half a year to a year. For the most part Nvidia has owned the crown.
I have no idea how Nvidia was able to gain market share....
Where have you been? They have always had it when talking about the aftermarket GPU market...well last I knew anyways. There are many reasons for their success, but the main ones are stability and features with old and new games alike, plus CUDA for folding/ PhsyX for gaming.
I've enjoyed my Radeons and still have a couple laying around but the GTX's are the best cards money can buy. Even when the Radeons benchmark faster they still don't feel as smooth or as powerful...well in my experience.
I think AMD pulled out all the stops to temporarily get the crown and Nvidia said enough, meet Mr. Titan. The real Keplar.

Back