Keep losing usb ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone.

I have a friend who's just acquired a pc, but when they tried to use their wireless usb modem, it didn't recognize it. So I said to try a different usb device and see if it works. None of the usb ports would recognize any of the devices, so I uninstalled and rebooted and let windows reinstall the drivers. This time the first usb port I put the modem in, said it didn't recognize the usb device. I put it in the next usb port and it recognized the modem. So I left it as is. Because they only wanted the internet to work, I said that they may need to update the drivers. Anyway later on that night the usb for some reason decided it wouldn't read the modem again. So the next day I done the same thing, uninstall the drivers. I done it three times until I decided to have a look and see if I could trouble shoot it. But it didn't say anything helpful. Anyway I brought up the remove usb device safely window and it had a list of usb storage masses in use. But it had only the keyboard and the modem connected. So I stopped all the supposed devices and put the usb modem back in and this time it recognized the modem. It lasted all day and night until they turned off the pc and returned the next day to use it again. Same thing again. The Usb ports didn't work. So I've repeated the steps again just the once and closed all the "supposed" devices again. And now the usb modem is up and running, and the usb ports are working. For now until they turn off the pc. So I'm curious what would be causing this?:confused:

Now I hope everyone reading this post hasn't fallen asleep lol! It turned out longer than I expected! And thank you in advance for any help :wave:

Ok so today the same problem. Didn't do a reinstall of the usb drivers, seems we know that stopping the devices that are interfering. But there is nothing connected but the keyboard when rebooted. I'd love to be able to learn how to fix it, please any advice.....anyone?

Start here.
> See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
> See [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]

Then let us know if problem still continues

Oh. and be sure to go into device manager, rt click properties of network adapter and don't allow windows to let the network adapter go to sleep either to save power

Thank you for your reponse. The pc has been behaving since that last post. According to the friend anyway. She said after a few times of stopping the usb devices it's pretty much working like it should. So I don't know. However I am thankful for your links because no doubt they will come in handy :)

Cheers ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back