Keyboard and mouse doesn't respond

So I finished a virus scan and had to restart my PC after that. Right when it gets to the desktop I noticed my mouse and keyboard won't respond. I tried both port and USB devices and both failed. So I headed to safe mode and notices that the keyboard responded when selecting type of safe mode to boot (networking, command prompt, etc...) and once I started up safe mode, it stopped responding.

I was suggested this is a BIOS problem, which I had not updated from the first day I bought this PC (about 5-6 years). Yet I can't update BIOS when I can't even use my PC. No I don't have any recovery discs.

What should I do?

I don't think it's a BIOS problem. The basic keyboard driver from the BIOS is enabling the keyboard to function before Windows starts, such as when you are selecting the Windows mode. Once Windows starts whether in safe mode or normal mode, it is Windows' drivers that take over. Since that's when you seem to have the trouble with the keyboard, the problem is in Windows, IMHO.

Try System Restore and see if that brings back keyboard and mouse functionality. Remember that you can always undo the restore if you don't like the results. If that doesn't work, post back.

Hmmm. Your PC is 5-6 years old so does it run Windows XP? If so, System Restore is a windows feature not needing a disk but I wasn't thinking because you will need your keyboard and/or mouse to navigate to it.

When starting Windows in safe mode, is one of your options to start Windows in the last known good configuration? Have you tried that?

If that doesn't work, the only thing I can think of is to get new recovery disks from your PC maufacturer or to buy your own Windows CD and reinstall from scratch.

You might be able to use a MSDOS boot disk to format the hard drive but that requires a floppy drive. But then you would need to reinstall Windows and you don't have the Windows CD for that.

BTW, there is a difference between the terms "format" and "install Windows." If you mean install Windows (or reinstall), then you will definitely need a recovery disk or Windows CD to reinstall Windows. You'll have to obtain one.

Who is the PC manufacturer (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) or if this a custom or self-built PC, what are the specifications.

Back