Keyboard and Mouse non responsive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until yesterday afternoon, all was working well with my system until quite suddenly my mouse and keyboard both stopped responding. I switched the USB ports they were plugged into and they started working again and I went on my way.

A little later I started getting a USB error, Unknown Device. So I unplugged all USB cables except for the mouse and keyboard ( hard to use the system without those guys) and the error went away. I was able to later last night to plug in my digital camera and download the pictures without recieving an error.

This morning the system was working just fine but after coming home from runing some erands, the mouse and keyboard wern't responding again. I've tried changing the ports the mouse/keyboard are plugged into without any success.

I haven't added any programs or made any changes to the system since my RAM upgrade back in early March.

There are better experts on this forum than me for this, but I will get you started, at least...

What were you doing just before the problems started happening? Had you installed anything new on the system recently?

To start troubleshooting, go to:

Start Button

and select 'Control Panel'

then double click the 'System' icon

Select the 'Hardware' Tab

then Click on 'Device Manager'

Scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on the Plus sign next to the words 'Universal Serial Bus' controllers.

Then get back to us indicating if there are any problems with the listed components (usually, it will be a yellow exclamation mark next to something that is having a problem.)

What were you doing just before the problems started happening? Had you installed anything new on the system recently?
I hadn't been doing anything on the system in the hours previous to the problem. It workd fine at a little after 8am, but when I went to get back on at 3pm the mouse and keyboard didnt respond anymore. I had recieved the USB errors the day before but had no other real problems then besides what I've already described.

To start troubleshooting, go to:
Start Button
and select 'Control Panel'
then double click the 'System' icon
Select the 'Hardware' Tab
then Click on 'Device Manager'
Scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on the Plus sign next to the words 'Universal Serial Bus' controllers.

Then get back to us indicating if there are any problems with the listed components (usually, it will be a yellow exclamation mark next to something that is having a problem.)
I would, but my mouse doesn't move, the entire thing is non responsive. I can't even get past the sign in sceen at windows start-up. I haven't tried trying to get into safe mode yet, but I have a feeling since the keyboard isn't registering I might not even be able to do that.

Does you machine have standard keyboard and mouse ports? If so, you could try using a non-USB keyboard and mouse to get back control of the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back