Kioxia demos new E3.S form factor PCIe 5.0-ready enterprise SSD

Humza

Staff member
Forward-looking: Kioxia has begun shipping engineering samples of its next-gen storage based on the enterprise and datacenter SSD form factor (EDSFF). Formerly called Toshiba Memory, the flash storage manufacturer demoed the new short ruler format SSD, E3.Short (E3.S), based on its current CM6 series of 2.5-inch NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs and touted a noticeable performance increase, alongside PCIe 5.0 support and improved thermals to keep up with the blazing speed and higher power budget.

Kioxia is targeting the enterprise space with its next-gen high-performance NVMe SSDs. After all, the new drives employ EDSFF, and Kioxia claims it's able to offer numerous benefits over legacy form factors like 2.5-inch SSDs.

The company recently demoed the E3.S (3-inch) SSD, a storage format standardized by the SNIA, while the drives themselves are currently being developed for All-Flash Array (AFA) servers used in enterprise deployments and cloud data centers.

Kioxia notes that the E3.S form factor allows for a variety of size, power, and capacity configurations, while interfacing is made convenient through a common PCIe connector. The drives also have a higher power budget of up to 40W and carry support for up to x8 PCIe lanes.

Although the company did not publish any read/write speeds or IOPS, the drives reportedly managed a 35 percent performance increase over Kioxia's CM6 Series, using the latter's controller and BiCS FLASH 3D TLC flash memory, while running on 4 PCIe lanes and drawing 28W (an additional 40%) of power. For reference, the CM6 Enterprise series offers up to 6.2GB/s throughput and 1.4 million IOPS.

The drive also touts support for "PCIe 5.0 and beyond through improved signal integrity" alongside better cooling and thermal characteristics. Kioxia's upcoming SSD is yet to be named and other factors like storage capacities, price, and availability are also unknown at this point.

Permalink to story.

I used to think of harddrives as nothing more than storage, but we are getting closer to bridging the gap between harddrives and memory. The harddrives space is probably the most exciting thing in computing going on right now.

Yes, GPUs are cool, but it's the same story year after year. So much so that they are coming up with new gimmicks to use the power they are selling.

Ssd nvme has to over 1 pb then to use tha speed. I will use 1 tb I sec Fast. so the beginning are using pcie 4.0 drives nvme 5 gb in games on lan up to 10 gb lan speed. 15 gb on pcie 4.0 and 30 on pcie 5.0 and so on. I raid 0 4x. (exspensiive to get 2-8tb in raid 0 still.)

Ssd nvme has to over 1 pb then to use tha speed. I will use 1 tb I sec Fast. so the beginning are using pcie 4.0 drives nvme 5 gb in games on lan up to 10 gb lan speed. 15 gb on pcie 4.0 and 30 on pcie 5.0 and so on. I raid 0 4x. (exspensiive to get 2-8tb in raid 0 still.)

I had to build a machine for a customer which was seriously chocking on IO using NetApp filers over 10Gb Ethernet.
Sure, they where hoping in the 5Gb/s IO 1Gb/s in 4k random blocks.

2x EPYC 7742 2P AMD CPU (Gigabyte Server)
(128 Cores / 256 Threads / 2 TiB Ram)

# Volume A
HighPoint SSD7540 PCIe Gen4 x16 8-Port M.2 NVMe RAID Controller
\__8x FireCuda 530 4TB Gen4 NVMe's in RAID0 = 32TB

# Volume B
HighPoint SSD7540 PCIe Gen4 x16 8-Port M.2 NVMe RAID Controller
\__8x FireCuda 530 4TB Gen4 NVMe's in RAID0 = 32TB

Using RHEL8 Linux XFS & LVM to make them RAID1
Over 30Gb's a Second at any given moment, about 200x faster and
about 200x cheaper then any enterprise grade solution.

This was 2 years ago running Gen4.
I call it `Ghetto Tech`.

They still send me a nice bottle of champagne now and then :)

Back