LAN + electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

geos

not sure where to submit my topic, but this seems to me the right place; since my problem ISN'T with connecting the computers through LAN, but more like connecting them to the electricity!

i have in my house 1 Phase, do you think it can handle 6 computers? or should i seek for another place to do the lan party? (obviously which got more than 1. probably 3)

thanks in advance,
geo

it would be a smart idea. I'm supprised that your house only has 1 phase power, alot of people have 3 phase. Not to mention all the lights you might have on, t.v., etc.

1 phase vs 3 phase is not of any concern; which A/C outlets are on different circuit breakers is the real issue.

Here in the U.S., we typically have 120v -15Amp circuits and only have three outlets per breaker.
If you add power strip with more outlets, then you could get excessive current and trip the breaker in power off everthing attached to it.

Amps * Volts = Watts

so 15Amps at 120v can support no more then 1800 Watts. This depends a lot on the computers, but during gaming on a decent machine you are probably pulling 300-400 watts minimum. This will definitely put you over the limit as i am sure you will have a couple hundred watts of lights on as well. If you can connect up to two different circuit breakers you probably will be ok though. Most of the time the countertop outlets in a kitchen, and/or bathroom are connected to a separate 20 amp breaker so you might be able to run an extension cord from one of them in addition to your floor outlets.

Thanks for the answer guys, and sorry for being late to reply to you!
But i'm in a country where we have 220v, not 120v. not sure about the Amps though. could be 15 as well here? if so it doesn't seem i'll have problems running 6 machines; most of them are not that decent anyway, there are couple of laptops even!

thanks for the answers,
geo

the Amps * Volts = Watts still applies so just do some google searches to find out how many amps the average circuit supports. Or easier still just open up your circuit breaker box and read the numbers off each switch as 95% of the time that is the amperage rating.

In any case though, laptops do pull a lot less power (almost always <100w) so that will give you a good bit more breathing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back