Laptop acting up

Kirei Blossom

Hi,

I posted a question in Software, but I think the problem is more serious, so I'll post what's happening here.

I have a Dell 1440 laptop running Vista Basic. Well, I was trying to install a Codec Pack (Combined Community Codec Pack) but it didn't solve the problem so I uninstalled it. It was then that I noticed that the pdf files on my desktop had different icons - before they had the default red and white adobe pdf icon, now they were showing the thumbnail of the first page. None of the pdf files inside my folders had altered icons though - so the problem is only on the desktop.

I thought maybe I should try running ad aware, so I started it up, and it sort of froze while trying to update. I tried it a few times, but it kept freezing on loading.

So I thought, I'll just do a system restore. It didn't come up for 2 minutes. When I tried to restart, the system was on the welcome screen for a minute, then the cursur just came on a black page, and it took 2 mins for the desktop to load.

Well, anyway, I finally got system restore to work, and it worked, I uninstalled ad aware. Now, its all working fine, except the pdf files still have thumbnail icons. Someone suggested I uninstall and reinstall it..

Any one have any idea what's going on??

I did a restart, and it took a half a minute on the Welcome screen, and then the cursur appears on a black screen, and it takes a full minute before the desktop comes up. What's wrong? Before it used to load up really really fast.

Yes, anything doing with the system is acting slow. Though everything else is working at normal speed. Is there a registry cleaner for Vista? I tried installing my old old version of regscrubber, but it said it had known compaitbility issues, so I didn't install it. I ran CCleaner already.

EDIT: I would really love any help on this. I just received a popup saying "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer stopped working and was closed."

Back