Laptop connected to TV w/ HDMI, sound only comes from laptop

Meg Fleming

I connected my laptop to a TV and the sound and video came out perfectly through the TV. Unfortunately that TV had to be given up so I'm using a different TV (Sanyo 52"). The video comes out fine (other than the fact that the screen runs off vertically), but the sound only comes out of my laptop. I tried going to sound and selecting the TV, but the only option is the laptop speakers. I also tried right clicking and showing disabled devices, didn't see the TV nor HDMI. Any ideas? need help ASAP

Have you tried to set it in the sounds setting? My college ussually did that before we watch something from laptop in TV..

I have the same issue. CP->Sounds also has Headphones, but that's the small plugin next to the mic input, not HDMI. Looks to me that the onboard chip doesn't properly support HDMI :sigh:

Here's what I found ---

Attachments

• Laptop Onboard Graphics.jpg
    Laptop Onboard Graphics.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7
The only way to do it is: Sound > Playback Settings > Select the HDMI device.

You should have speakers, headphones, and HDMI device.

If it's not working, install your graphics and sound drivers again. Check graphics drivers to see if audio is not disabled.

"should have speakers, headphones, and HDMI device"
and I don't have the hdmi - - time for a new/updated driver :)

[SOLVED]

*First, laptop is Dell Inspiron n5040 and the bios was A03
Download the A05 update from Dell and run it (performs immediate flashing to A05) and it auto reboots.

*Second, power off the computer. Attach TV (or other device) via HDMI and make the device access the specific HDMI{1,2,3,4} port you've connected to the computer.

*Now boot the PC and go to DUAL monitor mode,
use the CP->Sounds and select the HDMI device and make it the default
(on a dell it show some Intel device, not hdmi, but it follows the Speakers & Headset we all see).

Sound moved to the tv (I was using iTunes to test).

Best wishes.

Back