Laptop Fails POST

P.O.S.T. Failure. I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 series that has failed the POST. I cannot get past the Dell logo. I ran the ePSA testing several times with no issues identified. I then removed the battery, reconnected the AC power supply and tried to reboot. Same result. This issue occurred after I updated Win 10 with the latest build, 10162. Any suggestions?

What's the visual status when it fails? I would guess a blinking cursor in upper-left of screen.

Use F2 to get into the BIOS and bypass logo junk - - you need to see everything going on

Pressing F2 (setup) just gives me a black screen. Tried pressing F12 (boot options), same result. I did see a small blue progress bar when I pressed it but same result, a black screen.

To recap, I'm able to run Dell's ePSA diagnostics (Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment) by pressing the Fn key simultaneously with the power button. All hardware checks pass. I've removed and reseated all components that I'm able to access, I.e., battery, hard drive, wireless card, keyboard, and the CMOS battery. Since I was able to remove the HDD, I copied over my important files to my desktop but I really want to use my laptop again. I've contacted Dell and one of their technical "wizards" suggested that I shouldn't be using Win 10 yet since it wasn't officially released (guess he never heard of the Technical Preview), and that I should uninstall it and reinstall my previous OS. Words escape me so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm replying to you using Windows 10 Enterprise Preview... So go ahead and re-install the previous OS for the time being

Tmagic650, really? Please re-read my posts. If you don't understand what it means to not be able to get past the Power On Self Test (POST), what it means is I CAN'T BOOT THE LAPTOP much less reinstall an OS! So, if you have useful advice, please provide it otherwise don't embarrass yourself again.

Randy, while I can understand a certain degree of frustration you may have with your problem, you have no excuse for your ungracious rudeness. Tmagic650 is only trying to help you and free of charge I might add. I challenge you to take a look at the hundreds of threads in this forum in which he has attempted to help people. If he makes a mistake occasionally, cut him some slack. That's not so much to ask is it?

It must be a coincidence that the laptop won't boot after a Windows 10 install. It won't allow to to boot from a CD, DVD or flash drive?

Okay, after an attempt to automatically install a major Windows 10 upgrade, my computer wouldn't boot at all. It powered up but the monitor stayed off (in stand-by). I had to reset the CMOS using a push button accessed from the back of my computer, to get the computer to boot. I know this reset is very difficult to do on a laptop

Back