Laptop purchase decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am undecided between two laptops and i was wondering if people could help with my decision. the two laptops are:

ThinkPad T510

Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66GHz 3MBL3 1066MHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
15.6" Full HD Anti-Glare display LED backlight and WWAN antenna
NVIDIA SG 512MB, AMT
8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable, Ultrabay Enhanced
9 cell 2.8Ah Li-Ion Battery - Dual Mode

price: $2394

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Studio XPS 16

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Quad Core Processor 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows ® 7 Ultimate
LCD and Camera Edge-to-Edge FHD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP
Memory 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
Hard Drive 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 - 1GB
Optical Drive Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
Sound Options High Definition Audio 2.0 with SRS Premium Sound

price: $2123

These prices are both with 1 year base warranties.

It appears to me that i get some additional performance for a lower price with the dell. I am wondering if i am missing something. I would also appreciate some input on reliability(i plan on purchasing an extended warranty).

I am also open to suggestions for other laptops with similar performance and price.

thanks alot, i appreciate any input

Which laptop?

I am an IT Director at a ski resort. I am in the process of switching over to all Thinkpads from Dell. My biggest complaint with dell is the outsourcing of support. I have had no problems with any Thinkpads yet.

Hope this helps.

Personally, I prefer Thinkpad over Dell as I haven't had as many problems with them as compared to Dell. However, I'm not really too good with computers so this is just based on my experience, but I still hope this helps :D

It's a difference in quality.
That Thinkpad T510 may not be Lenovo's best one, but close, and it certainly performs well. It is likely to be much more reliable than the Dell over time. and will have a better trade-in value.
We have been Thinkpad users since 1991... and find them to be terrific machines.
Thinkpads are usually about 6 to 8 months behind the technology of the day, but that means you get a better researched machine with more reliable components.
Thinkpads are not terrific gamers, but good enough. The Dell may start out as a good gamer, but two years from now you will be replacing or upgrading parts.

I agree that Thinkpad has better quality, but without knowing what you intend to do with this computer, no one can easily advise you.
My 9" Dell running Ubuntu weighs 2.2 lbs, has a 3GB SSD and is very portable. Cost was $200.00 and it's a fantastic email/surfing machine.

You face the likelyhood of serious troubles much sooner... perhaps within two to three years. That is the difference between quality and merely good... but for the price, which would I choose if the cost came out of my own pocket?
Well, if working on a serious project on a deadline, I cannot calculate the cost of a failure. I want the best I can afford, with the greatest chance that it can be easily and quickly repaired in the rare event that it fails. Quality does make a difference...
I have 33 years invested professionally in computer technology. I know the benefits of quality.
But, unlike others, I would rank Dell's laptops in the upper half to third of their range as better than most laptops.
Because of our experience with laptops, I could never own a Sony Vaio, HP, eMachines, Acer, or Toshiba.
Others mileage, of course, will differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back