Laptop run slow after battery drain

JohnOliver

I've had a problem for some time, my computer when it runs out of battery it start to run slow. Let me explain myself better.
When I use the Computer on the battery and it is drained I connect the Ac, but while does not charge up to 100% it has performance drops. By example a game, it in the 60FPS and it drops to 23FPS then go up to 60 again, drop to 30, and so on and so forward.
If I let it charge up to 100% and restart it returns to normal.
I have everything in High Performance, including on Nvidia. I have all the drivers updated. I did a clean installation of Windows and problem continued.

Most PC laptops have Power settings in the Control Panel which controls, believe it or not, the CPU based upon the available Power. Because a laptop has a battery, there are TWO settings: Battery & AC and you can have different settings for each.

Can you be more explicit?
Because a have everything too run on the max performance, even on the advanced power settings set Processor power management to 100% On Battery and Plugged in. Even on the Nvidia a have everything to run at max. Soo what is you talking about?

Good, you understand the issue, but clearly I can't be a mind reader, can I?

Hi! As @jobeardbeard explained. Your laptop will run differently when running off battery and the AC adapter.
I don't see any problems if every thing runs well after the battery has been charged. I suggest plugging in the AC adapter before your battery is drained if you're going to play games.;)

But that doesn't seems right, a have other laptop mutch old and if run out of battery when I plugin the AC the laptop run fine. The problem is that if I disconnect the AC the PC run fine, the fps drops only ocurre when is charging like if the laptop have some voltage drops or something.

Usage while charging is always *iffy*. The battery is too low to take over and the AC is doing all it can to refresh the battery.

IMO, you have an issue if-n-only-if the system is slow on apps other than games, as they always stress the power and GPU.

Hi. Remove the battery and just use the AC adapter and see what happens. You could have a battery going bad.
Has it always been like that?

No, started a few months ago. I send the laptop for repairs to Asus after that the problem appear.

I found this:
-Just Unnistall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery then shutdown the PC
-Remove the battery, press the power bottom for 30 seconds,
-Connect the battery again recharge the laptop to 100%.

Will that solve the problem?

Hi! I guess you could give it a try. Removing the battery and pressing the power button for 30seconds, discharges the capacitors and resets some power options. Have you tried to run your PC on the AC adapter with the battery removed?

No, the battery is not removable, I need to open the laptop. I will try it.
Hi If you posted your make and model, it would help us help you. Some laptops won't allow you to remove the battery without opening the laptop. I have never done that. Not some thing I can or would advise.

Hi If you posted your make and model, it would help us help you. Some laptops won't allow you to remove the battery without opening the laptop. I have never done that. Not some thing I can or would advise.

I actually know how to do that, is not the first time, already did that a couple of times.

Asus G550JK
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063)

Hi Nice machine. Have you checked with Asus help about this problem??
https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G550JK/

Yes, I laugh with their Reply. I guess they are stupid, or do not know what to say.

"In view of the situation that we are reporting, we regret to inform you that this will be normal, since when the equipment decreases in its autonomy, it tries to use all the resources (or reduce them) in order to keep the equipment connected for a longer time.

In this way, the behavior that describes us is normal."

Hi! I don't know. As @jobeard has stated this may be normal. I really don't have any more suggestions for you. Are you using the original AC adapter?

Remember, a laptop is all about portability and with a battery, it is attempting to keep itself functional for as long as possible - - by reducing battery drain. Clearly this is contrary to gaming use were performance is the prime directive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again, Removing the battery and press the power bottom for 30 seconds it did not work.

What you guys are not understanding is, I have others laptops and if they run out of battery I Plug in the AC, and they run fine, my friends have laptops and if they run out of battery when they plug in the Ac adapter they still can play games fine, so why this is different, because when I buy this laptop it was not like this.

Example of the user's choices altering systems behavior (given a Dell Inspiron N5040):
  • GIVEN, it's not a gaming system as I am not a gaming person, but a systems analysis and web programmer.
  • I don't allow use of the GPU; I give up speed for better security
  • I also don't allow plugins as they always present extra risk, degrade performance and provide features which I can do for myself or easily do without
  • I DO have an antivirus which scans email and web link clicks to protect the system
  • and a etc\hosts file loaded with domain names for known advert sites and malware; I gladly give up any advertising for security and even a small boost in performance.
  • I've tuned autostart services to avoid ALL phone-home updates, like Google Update et all - - it's MY laptop and battery is precious, so I don't want changes while running remotely on the battery. I'm a grownup and take responsibility to keep my system(s) current and updated. Looking for updates at every boot is insane IMO.

Part 1 of the theory I have.
Your PSU, the big brick, only supplys so much amperage. If the battery has to charge up, then there's less amps to give to the laptop hardware. If you're lacking full power, then there's not enough power to give to everything thus things ramp down.
You can get higher amp bricks, they will charge the battery faster, and you'll have more power to feed the hungry parts.

So while you might have things at full power, they cant get fed the power they need.

case in point, a laptop I was turning into a desktop had a few options on power. I believe there was a 60w psu and a 90w psu.
You could use either, but dropping 30w would have had a negative effect on the core components.
For those wondering, the motherboard had further issues and the project was abandoned.

Part 2
windows 10 is a lot like early access games, where its a steaming pile of **** currently but looks cool.
There are so many documented problems that I wouldn't be shocked if this is part of that.
Since you are troubleshooting, I would actually say why not try win7 and see if this is actually one of those problems.
Considering you have a ROG laptop I wouldn't think this issue would be the PSU.. it could be, but I'm more apt to thinking this is some other garbage coding in windows 10 that is being dumb.

Back