Laptop Running Slow With Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently had to reformat my laptop because of a virus that I had obtained. My laptop is a Compaq Presario and is about 2 years old. It has an AMD 64b processor, an ATI Radeon graphics card, only 80g on the computer hard drive, and then I have a 120gb External hard drive. So anyways I just reformated about 3 days ago, it was running ok for the first 2 days, and I have been kind of just reinstalling all the old programs I had (just standard programs like Itunes and things like that), and then yesterday I installed both a 2000 version of Microsoft Office, an antivirus program called something like Trendmicro Pccillin or something along those lines. And now my computer is running as slow or slower then if AOL made an operating system. Ive tried exiting the antivirus program as well as turning off all the security stuff for windows (Windows Firewall, Auto Updates, and Virus Protection) but its still running slow as anything. I cant stand my laptop running so slow, and really am open to any ideas.

Thanks for the help.

Trendmicro has had a security breach allowing a nasty virus to enter one's system; I'm not saying this is your issue but it is something to look into. Jobeard posted about this a few weeks ago. Uninstall this antivirus, go online and run the free NOD32 scan.

Also, scan any and all applications and programs you have reinstalled for viruses, etc. Then get a better antivirus.

Trendmicro has had a security breach allowing a nasty virus to enter one's system; I'm not saying this is your issue but it is something to look into. Jobeard posted about this a few weeks ago. Uninstall this antivirus, go online and run the free NOD32 scan.

Also, scan any and all applications and programs you have reinstalled for

Thx alot, that did help me out tons. But now i've run into another problem. My laptop seems to be running fine as far as speed is going, but when I run programs or play videos on youtube, my laptop seems to have the fan going full blast and after a short period the laptop shuts off from what I believe to be a heat problem. Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening?

Thx alot, that did help me out tons. But now i've run into another problem. My laptop seems to be running fine as far as speed is going, but when I run programs or play videos on youtube, my laptop seems to have the fan going full blast and after a short period the laptop shuts off from what I believe to be a heat problem. Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening?

Glad that helped. I take it you had some serious infections? What are you doing about your antivirus?

Anyway, yes, it sounds like a heat issue and heat will shut down a system fast because said system is trying to protect itself from serious damage. Laptops heating up is not an uncommon problem.

I suggest getting a laptop pad that is designed for the dispensing of heat. Your laptop sits on it. Mine runs via USB attachment but it will drain your battery faster. My particular one is designed at an angle so using my laptop is easier to type on.

Well I have a targus cooling pad, which helps a little but I stopped using previous to the reformat on my laptop. Ill start using it again, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll cool as fast as my laptop heats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back