Laptop shopping. Need guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksd

Hello TS I'm back. Yet again I'm shopping for a notebook and am making a post to consult the great repository of Tech enthusiasts.

So here I am, 2 years later, shopping for my next laptop.

I'm looking for the most bang for the buck as you might say.

Good all around performance including gaming capabilities. For gaming I would say current gen "Source" games (TF2 HL2 series etc) for the bottom line. Must be able to play those. Not too interested in current hits, such as Cod4, UT3, Crysis W; those I would rather save for desktop play.

15" or 17", doesn't matter. XP > Vista. If shipped with Vista that would be fine. I've had good luck with finding and installing XP on laptops [see post https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92204 over 40 replies on just one model]

For the final and key point, FUNDING. 1k is good 1.5k is MAX MAX. No higher than that.

On another note I was looking at the new Gateway. I saw a post about it a while back. "Only sold through bestbuy" as I remember. Maybe the P-6860FX? Pricewise it was fine. 1.3k or maybe, as I remember 1.5k. I think that maybe doable.

Anyways...Give me your opinions and thoughts.

Thanks TS

AKSD

I don't really know much about the current laptop scene except for the massive explosion of every manufacturer putting out 'netbooks' as I am a desktop person, never owned a laptop.

But I would just like to say that TS has a laptop buying guide here might be worth checking out.

Remember, unlike desktops, you can't swap graphics adapters. So if you may need it down the road opt for a higher end graphics adapter up front at initial purchase

o.O thanks for the link to the guide. That's new since last I was on TS :)

Also thanks for the speedy replies.

I just picked up an HP DV7 1020US laptop from newegg.com. It hasn't arrived yet (anxiously waiting!! :p). Its 1,350$ + 20$ shipping and a 50$ MIR.

Specs:
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, P7350 (1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache)
4GB DDR2 RAM
9600M GT Video Card
17" LCD @ 1440x900
Blu-Ray/Super-Multi Drive
Built-In TV Tuner
320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ugh, has an open slot for another drive tho :) )

I've been looking for a bit and I think I'm going to get the gateway P-7811FX (Bestbuy exclusive)

Specs

Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor P8400; 4GB DDR3 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; Labelflash support; 17" widescreen 1920xsomething; 200GB hard drive (7200rpm); built-in webcam; Windows Vista Premium 64-bit with SP1; 9800m GT 512mb

Price is currently $1250 +tax http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892825&type=product&id=1211587727985

To me it looks like the best deal right now. 9800gt and under $2k; new Intel mobiles on 1066bus; DDR3.....

Thanks all for your help.

AKSD

I've been looking for a bit and I think I'm going to get the gateway P-7811FX (Bestbuy exclusive)

Specs

Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor P8400; 4GB DDR3 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; Labelflash support; 17" widescreen 1920xsomething; 200GB hard drive (7200rpm); built-in webcam; Windows Vista Premium 64-bit with SP1; 9800m GT 512mb

Price is currently $1250 +tax http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892825&type=product&id=1211587727985

To me it looks like the best deal right now. 9800gt and under $2k; new Intel mobiles on 1066bus; DDR3.....

Thanks all for your help.

AKSD

I looked at that laptop in the store the other day before my fiance settled for a Toshiba 17" for $699. That Gateway was very nice and eye catching. Right next to it was a very fancy Asus too. I think you'll enjoy the Gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back