Laptop sound issue

Frogger409

Hello all, this is my first time posting here.

To start of with explaining my problem in hopes of finding a solution, I will write down the model of my laptop and OS (if any more is needed, I am happy to comply):
HP Pavillion dv6910
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

This laptop has been working fine until a few days ago. Since then I have been through a lot to try to fix it. I've tried downloading drivers found on the HP website, googling my problem to find various websites that talk about it, and system restore. These didn't help me so I have decided to take a more direct approach by posting here. I have formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows 7 in the hopes of fixing it and to my relief the sound was working great. But, after a while of using the computer, I wanted to watch a video, and no audio was heard. I have looked for the drivers and nothing is there. The sound just disappeared. I really need help, and again, if any more information is needed, just tell me so.

<snip>I have looked for the drivers and nothing is there. The sound just disappeared

Where did you look for them that they seemed to disappear?

Also, I don't know if this might reveal anything but give these a try and report back

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Thanks for the speedy response ^^

As to where I looked for the disappearance of the sound is in sound from the control panel. There it showed that no audio devices were installed. Then I went to device manager and found that there is no audio section.

Now for the list of problem devices:

Coprocessor PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0543&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&1&0B The drivers for this device are not installed.
Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&342F540A&0&2 43

The dxdiag report is attached to this reply.

Thanks again ^^

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 7
I think a few other important things before we can look at Sound

> I don't think you've installed the nVidia chipset drivers for your HP

> But I also think you need to double check on the exact model number of your HP computer.

You said you have a "HP Pavillion dv6910" but DxDiag (which may not be 100% right, so you should double check says it's a series dv6700 (not a dv 6900 series)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC

1. Suggest you look for the tag on your laptop and look for EXACT model number. The EXACT model should also have two more letters after the dv series number. (e.g. there's HP models numbers for both dv6910ca and dv6910us )

2. Also, when i look at the HP support site for Driver and Software HERE i see a button to let it detect your product. Try letting it auto-detect

Find the right drivers for your exact model and make sure you've downloaded and installed the nVidia chipset drivers

You can then tell me the exact model number and try re-run those two reports

There are 3 different model numbers on this laptop so I think that's sort of weird(dv6000, dv6700, dv6910us) ,but since you said the EXACT model number is the one with letters after it, it's going to have to be dv6910us.

I have installed the nVidia chipset drivers.

For the msinfo problem devices this is what is shown:
Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&342F540A&0&2 43

I have run the dxdiag report again and have attached the save.

Thanks once again for your help!
(Please tell me if I missed anything)

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.8 KB · Views: 4
Well, the chipset download at least fixed the "Coprocessor" Problem device.

Also, i don't know if it might be part of your problem or not but it appears that neither the HP dv6700 nor HP dv6900 series (whichever you may have!) support Windows 7 (based on what i found on HP's website)

In any case, you might also see HERE for HP auto-product detection to see what model HP says you have via their tool. (Use Internet Explorer when you run the HP tool)

Re: your sound. Your HP notebook has High Definition Audio. Hi Def audio devices talk to Windows via an Audio Controller
Windows <==> Hi Def Audio Controller <==> Audio Devices

And your Hi Def Audio controller has disappeared so no audio devices can work. But not sure why the controller should have disappeared. (if you look for it in Device Manger the Hi Def Audio controller appears under System Devices) and i'd expect to see it in a dxdiag report (but it's not there)

1. Try HP's auto-detect link and see what it identifies for your computer
2. Enter your BIOS menu and check all of your BIOS options. Check if there any option to enable/disable Onboard audio? And make sure it's not disabled.
3. See [post=939115]How To Report Your Computer's Device Manager Data[/post] and attach a report. i can then also take a look

Woah...
I just turned on my computer and the sound was back!
I really appreciate the help you gave me. Thanks a bunch!
I just hope this problem doesn't happen again..

Either way I will still do the things you asked me to just in case there's something important there and that way if it happens to me or someone else in the future, it will help.

> I have been aware that this model doesn't support Windows 7 (I too have checked) but that didn't seem to be a problem. My computer was working fine until just recently. (There was the problem with my optical drive not working anymore, but that was it.)

> I ran the HP auto-product detection and it said my computer is "HP Pavilion dv6910us Entertainment Notebook PC."

> I have gone into the BIOS menu quite a few times and there never is any option to enable/disable audio.

Maybe with the report that's attached you will be able to see the cause of this problem. Once again, thanks so much :)

Attachments

• devmanview_report.txt
    104.8 KB · Views: 2
Oh man, it just broke again. I'll tell you how it happened.

I was going to watch a video on youtube and I pressed play and then firefox froze. Afterwards it said that the adobe flash plugin had crashed. So I refreshed the page. I pressed play again and it froze again, but then it unfroze and the video started. I then noticed there was no sound. I went to the task bar to check it out but it was frozen and not responding. I clicked on it a few times and it showed me a window saying it was not responding and gave me option to restart explorer. I did that and tried to move the volume, but everytime I tried it froze. I then restarted the computer to see if that would fix it and the audio was gone..

I'll run another devmanview report and attach it.

I'll also attach the info the troubleshooter gave me.

Attachments

• devmanview_report_2.txt
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Troubleshooter Log.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Registry Log.txt
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
I was excited at your first post to hear your audio came back! Then RATS! Sorry to hear your audio was gone again.

Unfortunately,i think what you describe plus your two dev manager reports all point to flaky hardware: The High Definition Audio Controller on your motherboard comes and goes. I can see two audio devices connected to it. As the audio controller comes and goes so do the audio devices connected to it :(

fyi... re: checking BIOS options. It was worth a shot but I didn't think enable/disable Onboard audio would likely be an option for a notebook - but was worth taking a look. That option is often found on Desktops where one has the option to use an internal addon card for audio.

I wouldn't think it's worth the $$ cost to try and repair. There are cheap USB sound cards available (if you wanted to go that route) tho then you'd also have to hook it up to external speakers.

Sorry we couldn't find a better answer to your problem :(

It's alright. I really do appreciate the effort and am thankful for the help. Looks like I picked the right place to post about my problem. :approve: Thanks again!

Back