Laptop to HDMI external TV resolution issue

Jess_123

Is there a way to hand pick your resolution?
I think the tv is 24 inch Circ. 2010; Brand: Dynex. Best buy black friday exclusive deal.
Asus Laptop 2014.

The recommended sizing is 1920x1080, the screen however, is too small for 1920x1080. I lose the task bar and the title bar on this setting (ie can't switch programs or close programs with mouse, only keyboard shortcuts) On 1600x900 it's too small, large black bar all the way around. The in between setting is too tall (lose title and task again), but not wide enough (still black bar).

So I'm wondering if there's a backdoor setting somewhere that I can change, so that I'm picking the size; or if I'm doing something wrong in the display settings.

It is one of those things that appears easy but may not be. I had big problems connecting my XP desktop to a 32" LCD TV. It was worse than your situation because when it booted into Windows all I got was a blank screen. Eventually I used the monitor to select a compatible resolution so when I switched to the TV I had something to start with. I did set a custom resolution but am afraid I can't remember what I did.

What is more relevant to your situation though is that I later replaced the graphics card with one having an HDMI socket. I immediately decided to use that instead of the VGA. In fact that just didn't work. The picture on the TV at the same resolution wasn't the same and I failed to get the taskbar to show properly. It was much as you have described your situation. I went back to using a VGA cable.

I had similar issue before when I connected the tv to the laptop via HDMI, only the top 1/3 of the taskbar was showing. I played around w/ custom resolution and made it work.

Later I realized the display setting of the Panasonic Viera wasn't set correctly. Think I changed HD Size in picture settings. Afterward, I selected default resolution on the laptop and everything worked as it should.

Clipboard02.png

Mine's a Panasonic too and over eight years old. You are correct and there is a Viera TV setting for PC which moves the picture up or down the screen (V-pos). I missed that but I'll leave things as they are on mine because the top of the picture moves out of sight.

Hmm; My Dell laptop only has the onboard video chip, but does support HDMI. I use it a lot for presentations via a projector and sometimes to my HDTV.

I've noticed that the HDMI resolution is dependent upon the device to which is at the remote end.
For example, the projector I use the most has a resolution far different than my personal HDTV and when the option to duplex the video (both screens active at the same time) I can see the resolution change.

SO -- use the video duplexing on the laptop and play with the TV resolution.

Back