Laptop will not "see" new graphics card

I have an Acer Aspire 1710 Desktop replacement Laptop. Although to call it a laptop is a joke, as it weighs a ton. However some time ago the graphics card went up the spout. It was a Nvidia go5600 mobile card. I managed to buy one of ebay and after a careful visual comparison fitted the card, the old card drivers were still installed.
But although the computer worked it would only used the basic vga mode and the scrolling is jerky. And the graphics adaptor showing a yellow exclamation mark in device manager and the card listed as an unknown. The system BIOS reports the card correctly although I am not sure if it is reporting the new or old card.
I have downloaded and tried new drivers, but nothing will cure the problem. I have tried various programs that are supposed to "see" the hardware and report but again nothing works.
Other thank the graphics card the machine works great. I am loath to break it for spares as it cost me £1500 when new and has been excellent.
Anyone out there that can help I would be grateful for and information or advice.

Have you tried running driversweeper to remove the old drivers, before installing the new ones again?

I would also try a clean install of Windows, just in case you have corruption to drivers, as that is a much faster way of ascertaining if that is an issue.

If that doesn't work, either the new GPU is faulty, or there is a difference between the two you have, and your replacement is not compatible with your hardware.

Back