Laptop won't shut down, hangs on background screen forever

I have a Windows XP laptop that has been giving me problems recently when I attempt to shut it down.

What will usually happen is this:

• I'll try to attach a USB device to one of its ports and it won't recognize it
  • I'll then right click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the taskbar to see what it has listed there
  • The "Safely Remove Hardware" window never comes up, even after waiting several minutes
  • I'll check the task manager and it will say everything's running fine (nothing "not responding")
  • I'll then shut down the computer which will prompt a window to come up saying that "rundll" something-or-other isn't responding and I'll select "End Task" which will take me to the log off screen
  • It will hang on the log off screen for several minutes, saying it's shutting down, and then change to just the background I get when I log in with nothing but a mouse cursor. It will stay like this and never shut off. Ctrl+alt+delete does nothing when on this screen.
  • I'll eventually have to manually power it off by holding down the power button.

After that when I turn it back on again it will usually be able to locate the USB device when I plug it in again and will act just fine until the same thing happens later on and I have to go through the process above all over again.

So is there any reason why this is happening and is there anything I can do about it? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Your hard drive may have become corrupted. You may need to try and re-install XP, or have the hard drive replaced

I don't think this will do anything but have you tried uninstalling all the drivers for the USB Devices and letting them reinstall on startup? Maybe one of the drivers that it runs off has corrupt and is causing problems?

Try running a diagnostics in safe mode.. Run in safemode for awhile, see if the problem re-creates, if it doesn't, I'd say theres a service or application that is running and causing problems when trying to run the device.

Back