Laptop Wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so my laptop, a Compaq Presario V6210US, wont run on. I push the power button, the led lights light up for about a second then they go off and it dies, please help. The power supply is plugged in, ive tryed it pluged in and not and with the battery in and out.

There are a lot of possibilities. So it can be difficult (and easy!)

Lets do the real simple stuff.

Reseat the ram card(s) and blow out any dust
Reseat the HardDrive (make sure to make a secure connection)

Pull out the main (big) battery,; remove the power adaptor. Hold down ON for 30secs (dispersing all internal power)
Re-insert the power adaptor
Turn On

Now it gets a bit harder!
Remove all power again
Begin to pull it apart (the dissamble guide should be on the net somewhere)
Remove all internal dust
Reconnect all internal connections
Turn on again

Lastly (still with it apart)
Reseat the CPU
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Good luck :)

according to symptoms there's 95% probability, that this is northbridge chip faulire. other 5% is CPU V-core PWM failure. you can check PWM-failure, if you check the presence of CPU voltage(it sholud be 0,94v)

Hello ,

I had the same problem once with my Acer laptop.

tried ;

Pull out the main (big) battery,; remove the power adaptor. Hold down ON for 30secs (dispersing all internal power)
Re-insert the power adaptor
Turn On

But it worked for sometime and agin went out.

had to take it to the vendor who fixed it for me.

according to symptoms there's 95% probability, that this is northbridge chip faulire. other 5% is CPU V-core PWM failure.

Your percentages are somewhat arbitrary, but I *do* agree with you that something like a northbridge chipset failure could be the reason (and maybe even probable).

you can check PWM-failure, if you check the presence of CPU voltage(it sholud be 0,94v)
Also, shouldn't the vcore be higher than 0.94v? (Not that radnam has the ability to check it anyway, most likely...)

But why are you saying it is 100% likely to be a non user-serviceable issue? It can be so many other things... A broken power jack and a battery that finally discharged... just to name an example. How about some practical suggestions before we jump to conclusions? I'm willing to bet reworking a PCB filled with microelectronics isn't really an option for most people... Reballing definitely isn't, which is what you always suggest...

Interesting...
Zenosincks said:
...Is everything the result of a defective southbridge?

lamo said:
the problem is in the broken southbridge chip.
lamo said:
if your notebook keeps shutting down when you plug in the USB devices - the southbridge chip(fw82801DBM or NH82801FBM) may be broken and you need to replace it.
lamo said:
if Intel, it can be the southbridge problem. the USB contacts are going right into the southbridge chip(except 5v and GND of course ), thus, if you have shutting down device during USB connection - 90% that this is a southbridge faulty. the faulty which appears due to the statical electicity.
lamo said:
the southbridge chip must be broken. only chip replacing will helps you
lamo said:
the southbridge chip may also been broken. in this case - only the MB repairing or replacing can solve the problem.
lamo said:
try to remove hdd and cdrom. if the computer will show you the bios screen, so the problem is most in faulty hdd. if not, this can be the southbridge problem.
lamo said:
it can be southbridge faulty
lamo said:
if you connect firmly HDD,CDROM and floppy and still the laptop doesn't want to boot - then this is southbridge faulty. only chip replacing will helps.
AFAIK, inspiron 8000 is Pentium4 based laptop.... so, 82801CAM(or 82801DBM) is your problem.
lamo said:
if you have 830 chipset(Montara), you have the 82801cam southbridge. if so - you'll have to replace the chip.
lamo said:
test RAM, test HDD. if they work fine, then laptop needs the reballing of southbridge chip.
lamo said:
try to boot from USB-stick. it seems, that the problem is with faulty southbridge. tell the model of laptop.
lamo said:
ssampath, i very suspect, that this is southbridge faulty. this is typical problem for this series of acer laptops. the laptop MB is really has poor quality.
lamo said:
ylli, this is southbridge faulty. ou can replace the MB, ot you can repairing it.
lamo said:
ylli, just tell him, that you need the motherboard replacing for Acer 5100 models family. this family has same motherboard, and the typical faulty - the southbridge(ATI SB460) dying. the symptoms are: non working touchpad and USB ports.
lamo said:
the problems in this compal platform are: dead southbridge
lamo said:
it can be southbridge faulty.
lamo said:
thus, if HDD shows errors during reading and writing, it can be some disturbances in the primary/secondary IDE channels IN THE SOUTHBRIDGE CHIP.
lamo said:
this is standart procedure for identifying the southbridge faulty. if you can't boot from USB flash drive - be prepared for replacing the southbridge
lamo said:
this is standart situation of southbridge burning via USB static electricity.
lamo said:
i suspect, that replacing the southbridge will be cheapier
lamo said:
common problems with southbridge faulty etc.
lamo said:
you'll have no luck with this model, because this compal board has too many development errors(cpu socket located too near to northbridge, too hot system of mosfets of CPU current, constant problems with KBC controller and southbridge).
lamo said:
i suspect southbridge failure

Thanks Rick

I might use that post as reference
I was an electronics technician before being a computer tech, and even though I've done it all, and had many specialized tools (that you must own to do this work) As the years passed, Oscilloscopes, IC soldering and electronic schematics of which voltage where, have just gone out the door.

If the board is faulty, replace.

>>But why are you saying it is 100% likely to be a non user-serviceable issue? It can be so many other things...
Rick, did you notice, that i'm telling the solution of the problem, depending on the symptoms?
i do repairing of laptops, and i always tell about problem using my expirience.
as i see on this forum, people tell about problems with laptop, and they even don't tell the exact model number! every(yes! every!) laptop has typical problems. there are some types of symptoms(like, non-working USB-ports) which point to problem with one word :)
PS. your quotations are senseless without context.

and rick, how many did you repair laptops? especially dv6xxx series(with turion CPU and nvidia 6100-6150go chipset)? i've already repaired about 30-40 laptops with same symptoms and with several solutions of problem.(northibridge,dead videochip,dead cpu v-core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back