Latest RTX 4080 spec revision adds faster memory and a higher TBP

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We've been hearing a lot of rumors about Nvidia's upcoming RTX 4000 series, though most of them seem to revolve around the RTX 4070, its Ti variant, and the RTX 4090. The latest claim to come from a regular leaker involves the high-end-but-not-quite-flagship RTX 4080, which sounds like it will be an absolute beast of a card.

As usual, the new Ada Lovelace rumor comes from the Twitter account of prolific and accurate (when it came to Ampere) leaker Kopite7kimi (via VideoCardz). They posted what are claimed to be updated specs for the RTX 4080, with the significant changes relating to the memory speed and the card's TDP.

It had been expected that the RTX 4070, 4080, and 4090 would use 21 Gbps GDDR6X modules—they were mentioned in this month's update on Micron's website—but the RTX 4080 is now thought to feature 23 Gbps speeds. Assuming the rumor is accurate, the RTX 4090 will likely feature the same 23 Gbps GDDR6X.

The next revised spec is the RTX 4080's Total Board Power (TBP). This is one area that leakers seem to change every other week. It was initially said to consume a monstrous 450W, but that was recently changed to 320W. According to Kopite7kimi, Nvidia has increased the RTX 4080's TBP again, albeit by just 20W, leaving the new number at 340W. For comparison, the RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition has a TBP of 350 watts.

The rest of the RTX 4080 specs remain unchanged: an AD103 GPU, 9,728 CUDA cores, and 16GB of memory across a 256-bit bus.

Another part of the August update on Micron's website was a listing for 24 Gbps GDDR6X. It could end up in what's thought to be a new Titan card that was previously rumored to pack 48GB of VRAM, 18,176 CUDA cores, and an 800 TDP.

Nvidia experiments with the specs of its upcoming cards as the launch dates draw closer, which is why they seem to change so often; we might not see the final, locked-in specifications until the launch is on the doorstep. The good news is that day is now just a couple of months away.

Permalink to story.

Either way it's good to see all these leaps n bounds. By the time I finally do roll up to a new build, performance will truly be night and day (current build is 4790K/2060).

Either way it's good to see all these leaps n bounds. By the time I finally do roll up to a new build, performance will truly be night and day (current build is 4790K/2060).
my last rig was a 4790k and a 2070 so you'll definitely feel the upgrade whenever you decide to do so. currently sitting on a 12400f and a 3070.

Do you guys think that PSU with 650W will be enough? e.g. Let's say that I want to buy newest i7 with it?

Do you guys think that PSU with 650W will be enough? e.g. Let's say that I want to buy newest i7 with it?
It depends on the PSU quality mostly - If it can handle the power spikes. It will be cutting it close so you will have to either put a power limit on the i7 or go for AMD (5600X or 5700X)

Rumors and more leaks, anyway they wont release it until the stocks clear out bit.
I Do not expect to be less than 1K $ for FE card.

Had the same combination and boy what a bottleneck was that 4790 with 2060. As soon as I replaced with 5600x the FPS counter go higher and remain steady, no more large drops.
4790 with 1060 was a good combination that served me well. I now pased it to wife and she is happy with what she plays.

Had the same combination and boy what a bottleneck was that 4790 with 2060. As soon as I replaced with 5600x the FPS counter go higher and remain steady, no more large drops.
4790 with 1060 was a good combination that served me well. I now pased it to wife and she is happy with what she plays.

I'm finding this out with a 4790 playing AC:Odyssey where the 4790 cannot maintain 60fps no matter what. Always running at 70-95% regardless of GPU settings. Just dial those visual settings up to where you're not losing too many additional fps and play there.

OK really I play other things on that rig and AC:Ody plays on the R5 5600.

Rumors and more leaks, anyway they wont release it until the stocks clear out bit.
I Do not expect to be less than 1K $ for FE card.
I know the mining craze took people's minds, but 1k? Idk, maybe you're right and Nvidia may think the same, but good luck with that. I feel like I start to bore readers repeating myself, but here's my two cents. The market is flooded and I mean literally, with video cards. They aren't even able to sell the huge stock they're sitting on, because they cling with their teeth for MSRP and higher. And miners won't be able to sustain any demand while in crypto winter, even assuming that ETH still won't go POS. Moreover, there's millions and millions of cards bought by miners and all of that will be unloaded at a faster rate for ridiculous prices. Meanwhile, most gamers just had to have new cards and upgraded already, so, the ones that didn't, they're really picky and can wait, myself included. Maybe they'll pull "the limited stock" card trick once again and they'll easily sell the first batch, but in the long run, they're dead. Just as demand drove prices to the sky, demand has slowed considerably and with a coming recession, they're going to get murdered if they don't stop with this baseless price hiking. Like in any market, past performance is not indicative of future results and prices adjust. And you may say these billion dollars companies don't care that much, but I can assure you, they care and they're getting scared, because after two or three disastrous quarters it's all downhill no matter who you are and Nvidia just had its first.

I'm finding this out with a 4790 playing AC:Odyssey where the 4790 cannot maintain 60fps no matter what. Always running at 70-95% regardless of GPU settings. Just dial those visual settings up to where you're not losing too many additional fps and play there.

Yeah, really all comes down to the games you play. I'm sure if there were ever a game I liked and couldn't run it at the desired fps then that would be the time to overhaul.

It depends on the PSU quality mostly - If it can handle the power spikes. It will be cutting it close so you will have to either put a power limit on the i7 or go for AMD (5600X or 5700X)
I've had my current 750W gold PSU since 2012. Last year I would have advocated for at least an 850W minimum, but now I'd consider even a 1KW with the ever-increasing consumption of these current/future gen parts. General rule-of-thumb, whatever the total peak consumption of your system is, double the wattage for the PSU. This will ensure relative longevity with not only the demand on the PSU itself but upgrades that require a bit more juice.

Afraid that is unlikely to be the case if you're going to opt for a high tier Intel chip, i7 or higher, and a high tier Nvidia chip 3080 or higher. While the power draw for 12th gen i7 and i9 is often misconstrued to be " OMG 300W !!! " at all times...this typically isn't exactly case for gaming depending on what game it is. Something that will leverage numerous cores can easily show a modern i7 or i9, especially when OC'd with power limits removed, to draw 50-100 watts more than a competing product from AMD.

It is well documented at this point that RTX 3080 and above, as well as RX 69xx, have very high transient power spikes. The RTX 3080 FE, by itself, will momentarily draw over 500W with 3090 and 3090 Ti easily surpassing 600W. Here is a link to GamersNexus video on the subject:

GN states specifically how people who are even using 850W PSUs are running into stability or crashing issues.

My suggestion would be to get yourself a quality 1kW unit while prices presently are in the toilet for GPUs and PSUs alike as the cost of PSUs is likely to rise again once new cards hit the market.

One of the best places to go for PSU reviews is going to be Cybenetics Labs: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=power-supplies

That's a link to their PSU review database which presently has 548 units in it. They verify 80+ certifications and also do extensive noise testing. You can search PSU units by their verified 80+ cert, or by how quiet Cybenetics has determined the units to be. Each unit has an extensive report generated telling you, literally everything, about the PSU down to the types/model numbers of individual components that make up the PSU.

I just grabbed a Phanteks Amp 650W, a customized Seasonic design, for my HTPC due to their findings on how quiet it is even while under load.

Ya, at this point Haswell chips, even pushed to the brink, can get creamed by a Ryzen 3600 at stock settings. GN did a revisit in 2020 of 4790k/4690k and that really puts into contrast how far things have come since then.

Stock to stock comparing the 4790k to 3600, the 0.1% lows are like 60% better for the Ryzen chip in SOTR:

Or 50% better in AC Origins:

With 0.1% and 1% lows being that much higher, you will really feel the difference in the smoothness and fluidity of playing games.

It will obviously vary by title, but the writing is on the wall for chips that are that old.

I am more than happy with my 4790 and 1660 Super.
I don't think I will upgrade till the 4xxx prices normalize, maybe sometime in 2025.

I am in hurry to throw money at nGridia.

I'm sure the nice guys here at TS will post a review when they have something more than rumor. Personally, I'm tired of these worn-out rumors.

I guess the Leak Dept is as big as the PR Department at Nvidia.

I am surprised they have not merged then into one. And even better, just dump the PR Dept completely!! The Leak Dept and TS are doing a fine job already!

I'm sure the nice guys here at TS will post a review when they have something more than rumor. Personally, I'm tired of these worn-out rumors.

me too. I don't care about possible specs, I would like to know when these are going to be available? If it's after the first of the year, I'll likely get a 3080 now and upgrade down the road. If it's a couple months away, say December, I'll wait to see the price and the price drops on 3080s.

I wish these cards would come out soon, I'm sick of all the inane fanboyism for both camps. All I will believe is high quality reviews and then decide where my money goes.

Based on nothing I have a gut feel RDNA3 will be a big thing for AMD with it's chiplet design and currently favour a 7800XT as my next card to replace my 1080 Ti. But maybe Lovelace won't suck power like a crypto mining farm.

Back