Latest Steam survey: RTX 3070 is the month's top performer, AMD edges closer to 30% CPU...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Valve's Steam Survey for March has arrived. As finding graphics cards right now is a nigh-on impossible task outside of paying a fortune on eBay, there wasn't a lot of movement in the GPU section. However, the product that saw the most significant monthly growth was the RTX 3070, up 0.17%. Elsewhere, it was another excellent month for AMD, whose processors are now found in almost 30% of users' PCs.

Steam's survey, which is optional among users, can give us a good idea of gamers' hardware-buying habits.

The GTX 1060 keeps the top GPU spot it's held since dethroning the GTX 750 Ti back in December 2017—but its popularity has been declining steadily since the start of the year. And it appears some people are able to buy an RTX 3070. The Ampere offering saw the largest monthly growth for an individual card—up 0.17%—and now sits in 17th position with a 1.29% share.

Interestingly, the GTX 1650 experienced the second-highest jump (0.15%), putting it closer to the second-place 1050 Ti. We heard today that Nvidia is increasing supply of the GTX 1650 to the desktop market—could we be looking at a future contender for the survey's number one spot?

All the Ampere cards experienced increases last month: the RTX 3080 (0.08%), RTX 3060 Ti (0.04%), and the RTX 3090 (0.03%). Still no sign of AMD's Radeon RX 6000-series, though.

AMD can take solace in the fact its CPUs are performing well. It continues to chip away at Intel's share, having now reached 29.97% of participants' computers. That marks a near 4% rise since the start of 2021.

The Oculus Quest remains the top VR headset with a 24.25% share, putting it ahead of the Oculus Rift S (20.96%) and the Valve Index HMD (16.37%).

Finally, Windows 10 (64 bit) keeps marching toward total dominance; its 0.37% increase means the OS is now found on 92% of PCs. 1920 x 1080 is still the most popular resolution by far (67.35%), and nearly half the participants use 16 GB of RAM.

Permalink to story.

Frankly, I am so disgusted with the scalping that I don't care who performs better in sales, AMD or Nvidia.

I just want every gamer to be able to get the card they want.

I am so thankful I was able to make the connections in Microcenter I needed to make to snag my 3090FTW3's.

Now I needn't worry about performance or comparisons.

But it does bother me that so many other gamers can't get what they want.

With people buying whatever they can get their hands on, all this data means jack.

I've tried to say this.

there are no "console wars" or "gpu wars".

This market is so vast until people will buy whatever you're selling in large enough numbers - over time - that it really doesn't matter.

It takes a special kind of ***** to think that "Sony is winning" or "AMD is winning" or "Android is winning"...

In reality, there's more than enough money to go around.

The only "losers" are the companies that literally go bankrupt and shutter their business.

I know quite a few people with 30xx cards at this point, many pre-ordered and received delays but most who wanted one have now got one. However I haven’t even laid eyes on a Radeon 6000 part. The drivers for the 6000 series are widely reported as being truly awful and make games like AC Valhalla unplayable etc and nothing appears to be happening to fix them.

That’s because it’s pretty much vapourware. Radeon exists purely for AMD to sell as branding for its console solutions to Sony and MS who pay far far more money than AMD would ever make with Radeon as a stand-alone solution.

I know quite a few people with 30xx cards at this point, many pre-ordered and received delays but most who wanted one have now got one. However I haven’t even laid eyes on a Radeon 6000 part. The drivers for the 6000 series are widely reported as being truly awful and make games like AC Valhalla unplayable etc and nothing appears to be happening to fix them.

That’s because it’s pretty much vapourware. Radeon exists purely for AMD to sell as branding for its console solutions to Sony and MS who pay far far more money than AMD would ever make with Radeon as a stand-alone solution.
I have a Radeon 6900 and I've not had any problems with drivers so far. Games work as they should.

Frankly, I am so disgusted with the scalping that I don't care who performs better in sales, AMD or Nvidia.

I just want every gamer to be able to get the card they want.

I am so thankful I was able to make the connections in Microcenter I needed to make to snag my 3090FTW3's.

Now I needn't worry about performance or comparisons.

But it does bother me that so many other gamers can't get what they want.

With the closest microcenter being a 6hr drive away, and not having two days off in a row to make the trip worth it, and with still quite a wait ahead of me in the Evga queue...

Help some people out then.
I'd paypal cost of any model 3080 plus up to a couple hundred on top for time and the trip, plus shipping. Legit.

So cool that I can use this twice in one day. :)

o06ddpdiwwf11.jpg

The thing is when that door opens the AMD reaper gets destroyed by Nvidia within 3 seconds. It’s not even close, Nvidia are humiliating AMD at the moment.
How exactly?

Because besides the RT hype (Ohh, look at that puddle on a paused game!) and the small amount of games using DLSS, the current AMD offerings are indeed very competitive.

Only thing left, that is clear that AMD cant do anything about, are the customers that blindly follow the hype created by the marketing team, instead of following the results of proper reviews, like the ones by HU.

Kind of ironic that I have to say that, given that you are posting on their site....

How exactly?

Because besides the RT hype (Ohh, look at that puddle on a paused game!) and the small amount of games using DLSS, the current AMD offerings are indeed very competitive.

Only thing left, that is clear that AMD cant do anything about, are the customers that blindly follow the hype created by the marketing team, instead of following the results of proper reviews, like the ones by HU.

Kind of ironic that I have to say that, given that you are posting on their site....
Nobody will sway you of your deep delusion that RT and DLSS mean nothing. Those are the very reasons why GeForce is absolutely destroying Radeon right now. You are so deeply incorrect about these technologies that there is simply no way you have actually ever used them. It’s quite pathetic really. However I have absolute no doubt in my mind at all that when Radeon eventually catches up on RT and AI compression that you will like it and use it.

But you are unlikely to disagree with hard numbers and as you can see from the results in this very survey that AMD sell about one Radeon for every 10 GeForce parts that Nvidia sells at least. The market isn’t stupid. If they were they would buy Radeon...

Nobody will sway you of your deep delusion that RT and DLSS mean nothing. Those are the very reasons why GeForce is absolutely destroying Radeon right now. You are so deeply incorrect about these technologies that there is simply no way you have actually ever used them. It’s quite pathetic really. However I have absolute no doubt in my mind at all that when Radeon eventually catches up on RT and AI compression that you will like it and use it.

But you are unlikely to disagree with hard numbers and as you can see from the results in this very survey that AMD sell about one Radeon for every 10 GeForce parts that Nvidia sells at least. The market isn’t stupid. If they were they would buy Radeon...
It's about price too. For example, a 3090 here costs 4000 dollars, a 3080 near 3000 dollars, while a Radeon 6900 'only' 2000 dollars. So, what will you choose? Those numbers are partly due to the glory of scalpers and miners.

It's about price too. For example, a 3090 here costs 4000 dollars, a 3080 near 3000 dollars, while a Radeon 6900 'only' 2000 dollars. So, what will you choose? Those numbers are partly due to the glory of scalpers and miners.
Those prices you’ve quoted me are a pretty good reflection of how effective these cards are at mining. A 3090 does hash about twice as fast as a 6900XT. And a 3080 is about 75% of the 3090s hash rate. It really goes to show that miners are absolutely driving the market right now.

Pricing always changes and people won’t always buy the best dollar per frame. I certainly would pay more for a quieter part with better driver support and features etc. It’s like buying a car, it’s average speed isn’t the only factor.

However at the prices you’ve quoted I’d buy the 6900XT over the 3080 and the 3090 any day of the week. But at MSRP Radeons just cost too much. Sure you can save $30 to opt for a 6800XT over a 3080 but I’d rather pay $30 more and get DLSS, RT and Nvidias superior driver support.

But I’ve never spent more than £500 on a GPU so in reality the answer to your question is I would buy a console.

How exactly?

After playing Control with RT, there is no way I'd consider playing it without it.
Go ahead and think it's hype all you want, the benefit is certainly there when done correctly.

After playing Control with RT, there is no way I'd consider playing it without it.
Go ahead and think it's hype all you want, the benefit is certainly there when done correctly.
Yup agreed control is a really good implementation of both RT and DLSS. So much better than the earlier games like Battlefield V and Shadow of the tomb raider.

I think RT started out as all hype and no substance but it’s been 2.5 years since we got the first underwhelming RT/DLSS implementations in games. However some of the later implementations have really impressed me. Metro Exodus, Minecraft, Death stranding, Cyberpunk are all very good implementations of RTX tech in my opinion.

Lets see if the happy censoring doesn't remove this one.

Anyways, think about your response, plus once again, read mine before this one.

imagine buying a 3090 for 1500 (assuming you can) for ONE game...

think about that for a bit longer.

anyways, mods, go ahead and remove this one also.

Your argument is deeply flawed as you have falsely assumed that that there is only one card capable of ray tracing and that there is only one game worth playing with ray tracing in.

You are clearly unaware of the state of the technology. There are dozens of games with ray tracing and cards going all the way back to 2018 from Nvidia can run it just fine in most cases. Certainly I have yet to find any game that my 2080 can’t do a minimum of 60fps in with RT on, usually at max.

I suggest you update yourself with knowledge of how ray tracing performs, how many games support it and what you need to run it. If you like I can link you to pages listing RT compatible games and benchmarks showing viable RT performance? Or will you continue to have your head firmly embedded in the sand?

A good one a lot of people haven’t heard of is riftbreaker, it’s not out yet but there is a demo on steam and the ray tracing is class. The whole game seems class. Check it out, they have Radeon 6000 series RT support so you will almost certainly like the RT in it.

I wouldn't buy a 1500.00 GPU for one game, nor would I suggest anyone to. Nor did I say that in any way.

I said that after experiencing a proper, full scale implementation of RT (and DLSS for that matter) it is most certainly not hype, and given my druthers I'd prefer to play a game that has it with the ability to use it with it than without it.

Is it worth the entry cost right now? That's really up to the user to decide. It will be more widely supported going forward though.

That's all an aside as to whether or not this is 'hype'.
Seems that those that are yet to play a game with it in use tend to think that though.

Lord, you two really love to argue and move the goal post just for the sake of arguing.

I wont repeat the same thing anymore, since I think I have fed the tr0lls enough food for a day.

/spits coffee laughing

Not sure how anything I said counts as moving a goal post as I was consistent with my point.
whatever though.

/spits coffee laughing

Not sure how anything I said counts as moving a goal post as I was consistent with my point.
whatever though.
This guy has been repeating himself with the same misinformation about RTX for a while on here. I don’t actually believe him when he says he’s done repeating himself.

But meh, I say let him and people like him continue to have their heads firmly buried in the sand. I’m still enjoying ray tracing and DLSS. It’s his loss.

I'm surprised we're still on 16gb RAM. I bought my mine in 2014 for $90. 7 years later and they're the same price range and no gaming PC needs more than 16GB That has been the standard for 10 years now? The move from 4gb to 8gb and 2gb to 4gb was so much quicker.

Back