Latest Steam survey sees more gains for the RTX 3060 laptop GPU, AMD loses ground

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Valve’s latest Steam survey has arrived. Throughout February, AMD saw a rare decline in the number of participants using its processors, and it was an excellent month for the RTX 3060 Laptop GPU, which is now the most popular Ampere product in the chart.

AMD has had a rollercoaster in the CPU section of the Steam survey these past few months following a lengthy run that saw constant increases. Team red’s share dipped in December, went back up in January, and has now fallen again, albeit only by -0.04%, meaning it stays above the 30% mark with a 30.92% share. But are we seeing more of Alder Lake’s influence on the chart?

It was another excellent month for Ampere in the GPU section, especially the RTX 3060 Laptop GPU, which we love. Not only was it the best performer with an increase of +0.29% but is now the highest RTX 3000-series card (8th place) thanks to its 2.35% user share. The desktop RTX 3060 was the second-best performer, while the RTX 3050, 3070 Ti, and RTX 3060 Ti also saw significant gains.

On the main GPU chart, one has to wonder if the GTX 1060 will ever be pushed off the top spot. It’s been over four years since the Pascal card stole the crown from the GTX 750 Ti, yet it was still the fourth-best performer last month with a +0.20% gain, cementing its position at the top. The RTX 2060 continues to pile on the pressure, though, with a +0.21% increase.

The main GPU chart

Elsewhere, Windows 10 has now fallen to the point where it’s found on just over three-quarters of participants’ machines as Windows 11 climbs above 15%. The Oculus Quest 2 is absolutely dominant in the VR category, holding a 47% share, 33% more than the second-place Valve Index HMD, and 1920 x 1080 remains the most popular resolution, used by 67% of people who took part.

Permalink to story.

Nobody actually wants a Radeon card. If someone ends up with one it’s usually a compromise, often because it was a lot cheaper than the GeForce card they actually wanted. And usually these people still regret it and never go back to Radeon. Hopefully Intel can provide some actual competition if they ever release their GPUs.

"On the main GPU chart, one has to wonder if the GTX 1060 will ever be pushed off the top spot."

It's still good enough to play even brand new games at 1080p as long as you are willing to lower some settings to mids and lows. It's not great for the business of selling gaming hardware but it's true: there really isn't a need for most modest gamers to update yet.

Nobody actually wants a Radeon card. If someone ends up with one it’s usually a compromise, often because it was a lot cheaper than the GeForce card they actually wanted. And usually these people still regret it and never go back to Radeon. Hopefully Intel can provide some actual competition if they ever release their GPUs.
You have posted same nonsense countless times already. And yet only "proof" is useless Steam Survey. What is AMD's most popular GPU when looking at Steam Survey? That is: AMD Radeon Graphics

Posting this kind of BS as news item tells almost everything about Techspot's BIAS towards Nvidia.

You have posted same nonsense countless times already. And yet only "proof" is useless Steam Survey. What is AMD's most popular GPU when looking at Steam Survey? That is: AMD Radeon Graphics

Posting this kind of BS as news item tells almost everything about Techspot's BIAS towards Nvidia.

I realize anecdotal isn't evidence, that said I've owned only one AMD GPU in the 25+ years I've been pc gaming (a R 460). Bought it used for 50 bucks as I needed a cheap stop gap replacement at the time.

Gave it away within a month and borrowed an old nVidia GF460 from a friend instead.
I don't know if they've improved now, but the drivers (and install process for them) at the time were an absolute pile of crap, so much so that it made it not worth my time to use the product.

Maybe I just got in at a bad time in development for them or something, who knows. It's put me off from ever using one of their GPUs in one of my personal builds ever again though.
Still more than happy to stick with their CPUs.

I realize anecdotal isn't evidence, that said I've owned only one AMD GPU in the 25+ years I've been pc gaming (a R 460). Bought it used for 50 bucks as I needed a cheap stop gap replacement at the time.

Gave it away within a month and borrowed an old nVidia GF460 from a friend instead.
I don't know if they've improved now, but the drivers (and install process for them) at the time were an absolute pile of crap, so much so that it made it not worth my time to use the product.

Maybe I just got in at a bad time in development for them or something, who knows. It's put me off from ever using one of their GPUs in one of my personal builds ever again though.
Still more than happy to stick with their CPUs.
I have had AMD and ATi GPU's long before AMD bought ATi. I have been reading about "widespread problems" with AMD/ATi video cards, strangely I have never encountered any of them. There was recently famous "black screen" bug that none of reviewers were able to replicate. I couldn't either.

I find it amusing that members of this community are fans of one company so much that they refuse to believe objective and reasonably trustworthy data that shows most people just dont like Radeon. Thats a pretty sad fantasy to live in.

I dont like Radeon, I used them for 8 years up until 2019 when I switched to an RTX 2080 and wow the difference is spectacular. The steam survey matches my experience. Im educated now, im not buying Radeon again.

I find it amusing that members of this community are fans of one company so much that they refuse to believe objective and reasonably trustworthy data that shows most people just dont like Radeon. Thats a pretty sad fantasy to live in.
So you really claim AMD's most popular GPU is "AMD Radeon Graphics"? Anyone with brains understands Steam Survey sucks as it has always.
I dont like Radeon, I used them for 8 years up until 2019 when I switched to an RTX 2080 and wow the difference is spectacular. The steam survey matches my experience. Im educated now, im not buying Radeon again.
You still used Radeons for 8 years and it took so long to realize you don't like them? Does not sound educated to me...

I have had AMD and ATi GPU's long before AMD bought ATi. I have been reading about "widespread problems" with AMD/ATi video cards, strangely I have never encountered any of them. There was recently famous "black screen" bug that none of reviewers were able to replicate. I couldn't either.
And I know plenty of people that never had problems with them as ATI or AMD either.

Like I said, anecdotal and all, just was my one time experience with one of their GPUs, and it was such a mess I wont use them again due to it.

I've had a 1060 before I bought my current one which is an rx 5700xt from Sapphire. Seriously I think I've cursed myself and the damn thing for buying it for quite a while after I got it. Even seeing it and made me annoyed and angry. The hardware in essence is great, but yes it had great issues with the drivers to the point where my pc effectively locked down in a black screen and I had to use that stupid reset button to recover...A FEW TIMES EACH DAY, AT RANDOM. It took a while until they managed to release a stable enough driver. Now with the latest driver version the damn thing works just fine, still some issues with the drivers like wattman not remembering your settings, but nothing major. And a few other notes on the card: I find it too loud, and it heats up too much...I mean it is okay for a video card but it's more than I'm comfortable with. Anyway that was my first and last GPU purchase from AMD. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Back