Latest Windows 11 update is causing slow SSDs & WiFi connections, BSoD, and more

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: In news that should surprise absolutely nobody, a Windows update is causing major issues for some of those who've downloaded and installed it. Reported problems include massive drops in SSD speeds (more than half), Blue Screens of Death, and apps not working correctly.

The KB5023706 update for Windows 11 22H2, codenamed Moment 2, brought the usual improvements, fixes, and features to Microsoft's operating system, including a search bar in Task Manager, and a tablet-optimized taskbar. As is par for the course for Windows updates, it also introduced unwelcome elements.

The most significant problem stemming from the update is its impact on certain SSDs, with some reports claiming speeds that have dropped by half or worse. More than one user said the update crushed the performance of their laptop's Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB SSD; it appears that the problem is limited to this model of Adata SSD. A Redditor said that their boot time more than doubled to 31 seconds after the update was installed but returned to normal after they uninstalled KB5023706.

Microsoft says the impacted SSD speeds are one of update's known issues. It writes that "Copying large multiple gigabyte (GB) files might take longer than expected to finish on Windows 11, version 22H2. You are more likely to experience this issue copying files to Windows 11, version 22H2 from a network share via Server Message Block (SMB) but local file copy might also be affected. Windows devices used by consumers in their home or small offices are not likely to be affected by this issue."

Microsoft says those experiencing the issue can mitigate it by using file copy tools that do not use cache manager (buffered I/O). It also published two "built-in" command-line tools that can be used as a fix until it releases an official solution:

• robocopy \\someserver\someshare c:\somefolder somefile.img /J
  • xcopy \\someserver\someshare c:\somefolder /J

The slow SSD speeds aren't the only problem the update is causing. Some people have found they are running into errors when downloading or installing Moment 2. There are also reports of users encountering constant Blue Screens of Death, broken apps, and slow WiFi connections after they install the update.

If you're experiencing any of these issues, the best option would be to uninstall the update until Microsoft addresses the bugs. As is often the case with these things, it seems that only a small number of users are running into problems.

h/t: Tweaktown, wccftech

Permalink to story.

What is going on at Microsoft? They've shown they're capable of making a Good OS, the early version of Windows 10 were great. Why are they making changes that people don't want while also breaking things? Every company makes mistakes but this has been a trend for YEARS now. The most bizarre thing is that took Windows 10 from an OS that people really liked to whatever dumpster fire it is today. They then release Windows 11 which most people had no interest in and consistently make it worse.

It's really hard for me to understand because companies this large have teams of market analysts who's entire job is to look at what people don't like about a product and how to make it better. Microsoft has obviously seen how much people hate these changes and updates and then doubled down on them?

What is going on at Microsoft? They've shown they're capable of making a Good OS, the early version of Windows 10 were great. Why are they making changes that people don't want while also breaking things? Every company makes mistakes but this has been a trend for YEARS now. The most bizarre thing is that took Windows 10 from an OS that people really liked to whatever dumpster fire it is today. They then release Windows 11 which most people had no interest in and consistently make it worse.

It's really hard for me to understand because companies this large have teams of market analysts who's entire job is to look at what people don't like about a product and how to make it better. Microsoft has obviously seen how much people hate these changes and updates and then doubled down on them?

Layoffs at MS - clearly they removed the last few QC and market analysts at the company. In other words, continue to expect less than stellar updates from MS as they continue to screw things up.

That's why I prefer less updates, not more. Meanwhile, people are whining when they don't have the latest version of software, Android for example. Microsoft is different but they all tend to introduce bugs with new software.

Layoffs at MS - clearly they removed the last few QC and market analysts at the company. In other words, continue to expect less than stellar updates from MS as they continue to screw things up.
While that certainly isn't helping I see this trend starting in 2018-2019. It was just a minor annoyance back then but it's gotten out of control

What is going on at Microsoft? They've shown they're capable of making a Good OS, the early version of Windows 10 were great.

Haven't liked Winblows since Win 7. The privacy, was just causing issues. And I can't find my run and command line bits, everything that was easy to find on xp and 7 is all hidden and tidied away.

11 was minging.

they've been on windows 10 so long they forgot how to make a good OS xD

Would you really expect anything else?

Yes, I would expect something else. Major Windows problems are very uncommon these days. And this one, as the article stated, only impacts some users. I use both Windows and MacOS. Both are very stable but both also have the occasional hiccup with updates. These aren't the days of Vista or WindowsME. Windows 10 and 11 have been very stable and I can't recall the last BSOD I had with Windows, it's been years.

Yes, I would expect something else. Major Windows problems are very uncommon these days. And this one, as the article stated, only impacts some users. I use both Windows and MacOS. Both are very stable but both also have the occasional hiccup with updates. These aren't the days of Vista or WindowsME. Windows 10 and 11 have been very stable and I can't recall the last BSOD I had with Windows, it's been years.
Consider yourself fortunate. I'm one of those that has had numerous "Windohs Update" issues with 10.

What is going on at Microsoft? They've shown they're capable of making a Good OS, the early version of Windows 10 were great.
Idk I couldn't even get videos to play in vlc without insane flickering and artifacts for some time with windows 10 so I'll have to disagree.

Well, being primarily a Windows developer, perhaps this anecdote might shed some light as to the question of Why?

Back in the early 2000's, I was researching something for a project I was working on when I came across this statement from good ole' Microsoft:
At Microsoft, we like to think that we can always improve on a standard.
Given the business you are in, I am sure that you can imagine just how much chaos would be caused if anyone in your industry thought and acted that way. Personally, I thought that Microsoft has NFC about what standards are supposed to do.

And I agree. Microsoft has rolled in a lot of useless crap into their OS updates over the years.

I still don't understand why you would expect something else from Microsoft

I've been running Windows XP for more than a decade without a single BSOD issue and repeatedly telling Microsoft and everyone else how to do it at several websites for many years before they finally got the clue

Microsoft uses information like this for Monopoly control without even a thank you on their new Spyware Platforms

They told you they want the public to design Windows 10 and were building it the way users wanted it
It was just another lie

Did the Public ask for backdoors and spyware?
I don't think so

Did the public ask for a system that can no longer be fixed by your IT dept but only by Microsoft if and when they choose to fix it?
I didn't think so

Did the public ask for a system with backdoors that cannot be closed?
I don't think so

If Microsoft finds Russian / N. Korean or Chinese malware using one of their backdoors, they close that door and open 3 new ones

Only Microsoft malware is allowed!
Why would you expect any different from a criminal Monopoly with their Global Spyware Platform?

Why?

companies this large have teams of market analysts who's entire job is to look at what people don't like about a product and how to make it better. Microsoft has obviously seen how much people hate these changes and updates and then doubled down on them?

My guess is they got a bit lazy with info collecting, so their entire survey flock usually hangs out around Latte shops and Saint Woke's chappels in Bay Area and downtown Seattle now.

Just because they have analysts doesnt mean they will listen to them. Or that those analysts will listen to us.

The reality is these companies have figured out that the majority will continue to purchase products, at inflated prices, regardless of how little work is put in.

I still don't understand why you would expect something else from Microsoft

I've been running Windows XP for more than a decade without a single BSOD issue and repeatedly telling Microsoft and everyone else how to do it at several websites for many years before they finally got the clue

Microsoft uses information like this for Monopoly control without even a thank you on their new Spyware Platforms

They told you they want the public to design Windows 10 and were building it the way users wanted it
It was just another lie

Did the Public ask for backdoors and spyware?
I don't think so

Did the public ask for a system that can no longer be fixed by your IT dept but only by Microsoft if and when they choose to fix it?
I didn't think so

Did the public ask for a system with backdoors that cannot be closed?
I don't think so

If Microsoft finds Russian / N. Korean or Chinese malware using one of their backdoors, they close that door and open 3 new ones

Only Microsoft malware is allowed!
Why would you expect any different from a criminal Monopoly with their Global Spyware Platform?

Why?

There are numerous tips, tricks, guides, registry tweaks to eliminate most of Microsoft's "by default" SpyWare. I'm glad to encounter someone who is more knowledgeable about this specific aspect of Windows 11. Since I use both Windows 10/11. One version of Windows on 2 separate PCs. And that's not necessarily by choice. It just happens to be the state of my current hardware. One newer CPU meets official 11 hardware requirements and the older CPU does not. So, I said, "Okay, works for me". Ill use both for now.

Without researching the issue further, to the best of my knowledge. I know of, what you call, SpyWare as 2 things on my Windows 11 system.

1) Bug reports and 2) Bing searches

Now, if you are using the Microsoft Bing search engine then you are implicitly allowing them to fingerprint your life by your searches. That's not insidious, it's by mutual consent.

What is the SpyWare in Windows 11 that has gone over my head that is so dangerous and cannot be mitigated very easily with proper knowledge. Or is all the anger just out of principle?

I don't use Bing at all ever. Because Microsoft is big enough. I use Google mostly. And I realize that's just picking one devil versus another. But at least it's using somebody who didn't build the Operating System I use daily.

I would enjoy a solid conversation around this issue so we can learn something from it.

Thanks for reading

Sorry if I am wrong, but my understanding was that the reason behind Microsoft's aggressive system requirements for windows 11 is to prevent these kind of issues as they won't have to support old hardware.

What is the SpyWare in Windows 11 that has gone over my head that is so dangerous and cannot be mitigated very easily with proper knowledge. Or is all the anger just out of principle?
Anger out of Principle. It's easy enough to do all those tweaks but we shouldn't have to. I've been making my slow migration to for a few years now, I don't think I'm that far away. Goal is to be 100% migrated by Windows 10 end of life.

It's just really exhuasting dealing with these updates. I end up searching for a setting I haven't used for awhile only to learn it's been moved into another menu or intentionally hidden. I'm okay with learning a shitty GUI as long as it's consistent and it's learnable. Sometimes I feel like learning the Windows GUI these days is like trying to juggle water.

I may be the odd one out, but one of the reasons I really enjoy using Linux is I actually feel like my computer is MINE. I own it, I get to make decisions over it, I don't have to worry about activation.

And to bring this into more of a discussion about why people are getting angry, I remember a time (early 90's) when computers were clunky but exciting. The problems we had with them were kind of expected but it was an interesting experience to fix them. You could actually tinker. Things would break but for the most part, if it was working it wouldn't just stop working for no reason.

It was also harder to update because of the limitations of Dial-up and even into DSL. We had fewer but larger updates and those updates actually fixed things. Think 98 SE or XP SP2. Both of those updates were HUGE. There was an exciting buzz in the tech community about them. There isn't that excitement anymore, atleast not with Windows. Me being the Linux shill that I am, I love diving in and exploring what it's doing. And unless I go out of my way to break something(I do, regularly), it generally just works. The update process isn't a hassle, I can update the kernel and don't even have to restart

Now we live in an age of "we'll send out an update, break stuff, collect everyones data on why it broke and then slowly fix it over the next few updates that also break stuff then collect that data"

Like you said, it's easy enough to get around if you know what you're doing but you HAVE TO KNOW what you're doing. These problems are completely unnecessary but then you throw in the data collection practices on top of it leaving a very bad taste in the mouth.

And I'm not exactly against Data collection in products that are free. Windows isn't free. It might seem free if you get it with a computer you bought or, like me, get a license online for pennies on the dollar. Heck, they were basically giving Windows 10 away whenever it was released. You could get a legitimate Windows 10 key by upgrading from a pirated copy of Windows 7. Fact of the matter is that you can go out and pay $160 for a Windows 11 pro license, that's what they value their product at.

Anger out of Principle. It's easy enough to do all those tweaks but we shouldn't have to. I've been making my slow migration to for a few years now, I don't think I'm that far away. Goal is to be 100% migrated by Windows 10 end of life.

It's just really exhuasting dealing with these updates. I end up searching for a setting I haven't used for awhile only to learn it's been moved into another menu or intentionally hidden. I'm okay with learning a shitty GUI as long as it's consistent and it's learnable. Sometimes I feel like learning the Windows GUI these days is like trying to juggle water.

I may be the odd one out, but one of the reasons I really enjoy using Linux is I actually feel like my computer is MINE. I own it, I get to make decisions over it, I don't have to worry about activation.

And to bring this into more of a discussion about why people are getting angry, I remember a time (early 90's) when computers were clunky but exciting. The problems we had with them were kind of expected but it was an interesting experience to fix them. You could actually tinker. Things would break but for the most part, if it was working it wouldn't just stop working for no reason.

It was also harder to update because of the limitations of Dial-up and even into DSL. We had fewer but larger updates and those updates actually fixed things. Think 98 SE or XP SP2. Both of those updates were HUGE. There was an exciting buzz in the tech community about them. There isn't that excitement anymore, atleast not with Windows. Me being the Linux shill that I am, I love diving in and exploring what it's doing. And unless I go out of my way to break something(I do, regularly), it generally just works. The update process isn't a hassle, I can update the kernel and don't even have to restart

Now we live in an age of "we'll send out an update, break stuff, collect everyones data on why it broke and then slowly fix it over the next few updates that also break stuff then collect that data"

Like you said, it's easy enough to get around if you know what you're doing but you HAVE TO KNOW what you're doing. These problems are completely unnecessary but then you throw in the data collection practices on top of it leaving a very bad taste in the mouth.

And I'm not exactly against Data collection in products that are free. Windows isn't free. It might seem free if you get it with a computer you bought or, like me, get a license online for pennies on the dollar. Heck, they were basically giving Windows 10 away whenever it was released. You could get a legitimate Windows 10 key by upgrading from a pirated copy of Windows 7. Fact of the matter is that you can go out and pay $160 for a Windows 11 pro license, that's what they value their product at.

I'm a big user/fan of Linux also. I've explored Ubuntu and Mint mostly. They are really great systems.

I agree with you about the thrill of new Major OS releases being anticipated but that's not really Microsoft's fault. Technology today allows and therefore fosters the way things are with regard to OS updates now. Some people, let's call them Windows Insiders, can't wait to install each and every build that the Microsoft fools release. So, I guess you could say they still have the love and anticipation of each new release.

If you wanna minimize all the Windows (or Microsoft) spying 1) Never use Bing search engine and 2) You don't need to know how to stop it personally as there are many 3rd party applications that can configure your system in the blink of an eye to stop the spyware.

I've never really like the idea of change for change's sake. That's just silly. But Microsoft does get some stuff right. File Explorer and the classic "Notepad" app now have tabs just like a web browser. It's one of those things they should have thought of years ago.

I said I never use Microsoft's search engine Bing which is true. But I forgot to also mention that I won't touch their Edge browser either. I don't see myself ever touching it. Not to the day that I die. I guess that's my way of keeping them from becoming a bigger monopoly than they already are and keeping their fingerprint on me as small as possible. Anything Microsoft tries to strong arm upon me, I naturally resist to the full extent of my power. So, it's not really wise or beneficial for them to engage in the stupidity of the forced browser tactics.

I'm a big user/fan of Linux also. I've explored Ubuntu and Mint mostly. They are really great systems.

I agree with you about the thrill of new Major OS releases being anticipated but that's not really Microsoft's fault. Technology today allows and therefore fosters the way things are with regard to OS updates now. Some people, let's call them Windows Insiders, can't wait to install each and every build that the Microsoft fools release. So, I guess you could say they still have the love and anticipation of each new release.

If you wanna minimize all the Windows (or Microsoft) spying 1) Never use Bing search engine and 2) You don't need to know how to stop it personally as there are many 3rd party applications that can configure your system in the blink of an eye to stop the spyware.

I've never really like the idea of change for change's sake. That's just silly. But Microsoft does get some stuff right. File Explorer and the classic "Notepad" app now have tabs just like a web browser. It's one of those things they should have thought of years ago.

I said I never use Microsoft's search engine Bing which is true. But I forgot to also mention that I won't touch their Edge browser either. I don't see myself ever touching it. Not to the day that I die. I guess that's my way of keeping them from becoming a bigger monopoly than they already are and keeping their fingerprint on me as small as possible. Anything Microsoft tries to strong arm upon me, I naturally resist to the full extent of my power. So, it's not really wise or beneficial for them to engage in the stupidity of the forced browser tactics.
I frequently go back and fourth from Mint and Ubuntu. Mint is a great operating system especially for Windows user who want to dip their feet in the water. The only issue with Mint is the cinnimon GUI. It is both it's best and worst feature. I say that because while it feels familiar it's limitations start to pop up rather quickly. I want to specifially point to window scaling, It does a horrible job with scaling and in todays age of high pixel density displays this is a large issue. I'm confident that this will get fixed in the future.

Pointing towards Ubuntu, something about the GUI just works well on high pixel density displays. I can't put my finger on what it is but I just know that something "feels" off with Mint and I don't get that feeling with Ubuntu.

As far as the excitement around new OSs, something I've been getting into lately is finding the absolute smallest Linux distros and find out exactly how few resources I can give it in a VM and it still works. Currently I've give Bodhi 1 zen1 core and 256mb of ram and I can still browse the internet just fine. Youtube has some trouble but bringing it up to 512mb seems to solve the issue.

I really want to get an AM5 system to run VMs on but they have serious speed issues when you fill all 4 memory slots. This is just a hobby for me so I can't spend money on a threadripper or Epyc system. I currently have 5 1800X systems in my home server room so maybe a threadripper or Epyc system is in my future? 64cores and 1TB of ram would probably get me 6-7 years of great performance. IDK, I'm several tangents deep right now. Fact of the matter is that all those zen 1 systems are really starting to show their age and native 2.5Gbe would be a really nice feature to have. Although, if I went with a system that large I'd probably need at least 10gig. Maybe scaling 2.5g off of multiple systems might be the way to go.

Anyway, that's my major reason for using Linux over Windows, it allows me to run very stable servers and gives me the ability to tinker with how the OS functions at a hardware level. These are all weird things that a Window user would want, but the constant forced updates breaking things completely rules it out as an OS that I can run servers on. Keep in mind, I'm doing all this on a budget and don't have any ECC memory so I need all the stability I can get.

It's frustrating because Microsoft has such a monopoly on gaming that that is really the only thing holding Linux back from being a real competitor. It gets closer everyday but without any actual competition Microsoft can do whatever they want with Windows and people just have to deal with it. I want to go back to 1)operating systems with a GUI that makes sense and 2) fewer, large updates(outside of security updates) than what feels like weekly updates.

I'm forced to dual boot because I haven't been able to get PCI-e passthrough to work in my VMs. I believe it's a hardware limitation, but I'd really love to be able to get it to work so I can just open a Windows VM if I want to game. The other upside to that is in the Virtual machine I would have significantly more control over the OS. I can do all my important stuff in Linux for security reasons(banking, work, ect) and just open a VM if I want to game.

There still is a lot of exciting tech being developed on the software side but not with Windows. This speaks to one of Linux's flaws, but there are always cool new features and quality of life updates in each new major release. I don't hear about something months in advanced "Microsoft is bring X to Windows 11, it'll be a complete game changer for Y!"

Upgrading hardware frequently isn't an option for many of us so it is fun to see software changes that are free and accessible to everyone. When I buy hardware I expect at least 5 years out of it. I talked about the limitations of my 1800x systems but Zen 1 was slow from the start even if it won in the productivity space. It was essentially cheap cores and I needed cores cores over single threaded speed. Now I need cores and single threaded speed.

This ended up longer than I expected and went off on several tangents so thanks for reading if you made it to the end.

Back