LCD prices increasing going into the holiday season

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you're shopping for a new LCD monitor or television, you should probably take the plunge sooner rather than later. According to a new report by iSuppli, global pricing is on the rise for LCD panels 10-inches and larger diagonally. The research firm's numbers indicate that prices increased by nearly 1% on average in November.

That may seem miniscule, but iSuppli says prices were falling every month since the end of the first quarter, with a noteworthy 5% decline in July and August, so this marks the first shift into positive territory when looking at sequential changes. It's no coincidence that prices are rising as we enter the holiday season iSuppli says.

The research firm suggests that with the increased consumer demand, manufacturers are starting to stock up on panels again after keeping a trim inventory. That upsurge in purchases has prompted LCD makers plan to ramp up production from 76.8% in October to 83% in November. Fabrication rates for December are still unclear.

Permalink to story.

True, but the UK's VAT rise in January, from its current 17.5% to 20.0% is going to increase the cost, so worth buying now if you want to beat the price hikes. :D

Good; this decline in pricing was worrying. It's got to be a negligible increase unless it's driven by the raw material costs. And have not seen anything that says that's true.

HAHAHA, -_- they raising the price coz of contest #2 lol , "ok i hear techspots doing a contest on monitors , nows our time to STRIKE"...... sorry if i got a lol outa that

I'm not worried about LCD monitor prices. Prices for 22-24 inch monitors are very reasonable here and show no signs of increasing at all. The only downside to acquiring a new LCD monitor running at a native 1920x1080 resolution is that you need a more powerful graphics card to play all your games at that resolution.

Back